Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New and looking for help

Hello everyone
I am new to this site and new to fish tanks. I have had little bowls and stuff through the years but now I am ready for a real tank. I just set up a 60 gal tank in my kid’s room and need some advice on how to proceed. At the moment the tank has been up for about one and a half weeks. First I filled it with water and added tetra Aqua Safe Plus and let it run for 3 days. Then I put 4 community fish and 1 algae fish. They seem to be fine but I don’t know about the algae fish hides in a plastic log all day. So the other day I deiced to start testing the water to make sure it is ok. I used a 5 in 1 strip test kit. According to the test the nitrite and nitrate read at the lowest level. The hardness of the water read all the way at the highest level and the ph read at highest alkaline. I don’t know what to do I have not done a water change yet, I don’t know if I should do that first and put distill water in or add some ph balance. Any advice on what to do or check. Thanks

Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buy an API master kit, those strips are notoriously inaccurate. Once we know exactly what your parameters are we can get started! Have you been doing water changes? The ammonia builds up quick in a new, in cycled tank.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I haven't done a water change yet I didn't know if I should do it yet and with what water. I will pick a new kit up to day and post the readings.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'd treat the water before you put it in the tank when you do a change. Ideally your looking for 25% change a week while cycling. (2 x 15% works well). The media in your filter needs to buildup the friendly bacteria which will clean the gubins from the water. The problem with tap water is it can contain substances which strip these friendly bacteria out. I try to use RO water and add the filter media bacteria when I do a change and have had no problem. Granted when I had a bigger tank carrying two 25litre bottles each week from the shop was a pain, but worth it I think
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishySwarz View Post
I'd treat the water before you put it in the tank when you do a change. Ideally your looking for 25% change a week while cycling. (2 x 15% works well). The media in your filter needs to buildup the friendly bacteria which will clean the gubins from the water. The problem with tap water is it can contain substances which strip these friendly bacteria out. I try to use RO water and add the filter media bacteria when I do a change and have had no problem. Granted when I had a bigger tank carrying two 25litre bottles each week from the shop was a pain, but worth it I think
fishyswarz, I suggest getting a bottle of prime. Tap water contains chlorine and chloramines and prime removes these as do most water conditioners.

Op, definetly pick up master test kit to monitor your levels. You can treat the tap water with a water conditioner before adding it to the tank. Tap water will be just fine. Just pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime. Don't ever change filter pads out as well. Your levels will start rising very very soon since you have fish (ammonia source). The ammonia (toxic after .50ppm) feeds bacteria that is converted into nitrites (very toxic) and then converted into nitrates (non toxic unless out of control) you must cycle the tank in order to keep the fish alive. I will show a few links. Wc are your best friend during a fish in cycle. You can do as many as you would like but fish in cycles normally take a bit longer unless you habe seeded media. We cannot tell you the minimum amount of water to change because we do not know your water parameters.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...fish-what-now/
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cheers for the link. I've cut my filter pad in half so one week one side gets the muck washed off (in dirty tank water) then the next week the other side does. As for testing, after initial cycle I do it bi weekly using a kit. The tap safe stuff I just don't use unless its for a new tank which I leave for a week, I'm just superstitious I guess 😊
Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Cheers for the link. I've cut my filter pad in half so one week one side gets the muck washed off (in dirty tank water) then the next week the other side does. As for testing, after initial cycle I do it bi weekly using a kit. The tap safe stuff I just don't use unless its for a new tank which I leave for a week, I'm just superstitious I guess ?de0a
Ro water will lower your ph quite a bit. It also lacks some vital minerals needed in a Fw tank.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Do u mean the minerals for plants or fish? I think the rock I have increases the ph, it hovers around 6.8/7
Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do u mean the minerals for plants or fish? I think the rock I have increases the ph, it hovers around 6.8/7
The fish need the minerals. I'm not 100% sure about the plants so I won't answer that one. If your using half RO and half dechlorinated tap water then your safe.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I feed the plants weekly, haven't committed to co2, something else I need to look into deeper and I wasn't aware of the RO mineral problem. Something else to fill my time

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com