Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you all for all your advice and words of encouragement. I got my stand painted over the weekend. I am going with OCMINPIN on wednesday to get live sand, live rock and water to start the cycling process.

Thank you 54seaweed for finding the hex hoods for me. I am hoping the place I purchased the tank will replace the hood since he is very close to me and I will buy almost everything directly from him. I have not decided on what to do with my lights yet. Hopefully he can fix or replace my hood and I can just upgrade to better lights.

Elude 82 - I am not sure what type of substrate I am getting. I am going to talk to owner of the my local shop on wednesday. Any recommendations?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

In one of my tanks I have the black Tahitian moon sand, the other I have the super fine Samoa sand. The black sand is something I did to be different. The fine sand is beautiful, but is a pain! It gets kicked up easily. I originally bought it for my pink spotted goby, to be easy on its stomach. I would recommend the pink Fiji. The bits of pinkish color is really nice, and adds a nice texture when lights hit it, especially the blue.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #23

I agree with Khij159753's reply on searching Craigslist. My current tank was a KILLER deal. I won't go into too much length, but I will show you part of what I received from a Craigslist deal (Keep in mind, I received all of this for $40 locally!):

Top Fin Aquarium Starter Kit - 37 Gallon (Retails @ $134.99) {Click for details}
37 Gallon Aquarium » Top Fin® Aquarium Starter Kit | PetSmart
Ameriwood Durham 37-40 gallon Tank Stand (Retails @ $179.99)
Ameriwood Durham 37-40 gallon Tank Stand - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart
Top Fin Rock with Fungus Aquarium Ornament (Retails @ $34.99)
Top Fin® Rock with Fungus Aquarium Ornament - Specialty Pet Month - Directed Searches - PetSmart

So basically, I received $350 retail value for $40 on Craigslist! And yes, it's all still VERY new. Looks like they didn't have it more than 4 or 5 months and kept in VERY good shape during that time frame. I don't use the Ornament with it tho...it's just too big (imo) for a 37 gallon, for me anyhow. Would limit the amount of fish I could put in big time, but the point is, if you watch Craigslist, you could find a deal that will blow yer mind! Hope this reply helps.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
welcome to AA
I feel your pain as I'm recovering from mantel cell lymphoma
I also don't have a immune system so I know how your feeling
fish are just so relaxing I'll try to do my homework cause I know I saw hex hoods somewhere and I"ll pass the link along as soon as I find it
if you want to talk tank or something just give me a shout
I'll keep you in my prayers

john
I am sorry about your condition and all that you had to go through and still going through. It is tough. I am so glad I got into this hobby to help relax and keep me occupied!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #25

I ended up with the pink Fiji sand. It is very pretty! Thank you for the recommendation. So I have now 20 lbs of live sand which is about a 1.8'' sand bed. 12.5 lbs of live rock. I think I need more live rock, but it seems weird with a hex shape? I submitted a picture to show. Also, I got my water today, and did I underestimate how heavy 5 gallon jugs are. Then lifting it to an object higher than the tank to siphon water was a pain. It was a 2 hour process. I technically live on the first floor, but there are stairs because parking is on a lower level. I was drained by carrying 5 - 5gallon jugs. That is when having a disease that affects joints sucks.

I am confused about one thing. My LFS told me that since his water is cured, and not making my own. Also, since I got live rock and lvie sand, the cycling process does not take as much time. It is better to wait to get the tank established, but it doesn't take too long. He said I could put in a hardy as soon as next week if the water tested fine. He services a lot of tanks in my area and gets high recommendations, is he right?

Another question since it is a hex tank, do I need one 550 powerhead or two? Another person recommended one 550 and one 150, would this work?

But, I am so excited right now. I found myself staring at the rock and water all night. I am trying to figure out how to arrange my rock right now, but I love it!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #26

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-660296240.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	122769
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgirl
I ended up with the pink Fiji sand. It is very pretty! Thank you for the recommendation. So I have now 20 lbs of live sand which is about a 1.8'' sand bed. 12.5 lbs of live rock. I think I need more live rock, but it seems weird with a hex shape? I submitted a picture to show. Also, I got my water today, and did I underestimate how heavy 5 gallon jugs are. Then lifting it to an object higher than the tank to siphon water was a pain. It was a 2 hour process. I technically live on the first floor, but there are stairs because parking is on a lower level. I was drained by carrying 5 - 5gallon jugs. That is when having a disease that affects joints sucks.

I am confused about one thing. My LFS told me that since his water is cured, and not making my own. Also, since I got live rock and lvie sand, the cycling process does not take as much time. It is better to wait to get the tank established, but it doesn't take too long. He said I could put in a hardy as soon as next week if the water tested fine. He services a lot of tanks in my area and gets high recommendations, is he right?

Another question since it is a hex tank, do I need one 550 powerhead or two? Another person recommended one 550 and one 150, would this work?

But, I am so excited right now. I found myself staring at the rock and water all night. I am trying to figure out how to arrange my rock right now, but I love it!
You'll still need to cycle the tank. Even putting in LR/LS without an ammonia source its going to read perfect 0-0-0. What you need to decide is fish in or fishless. I think what he is saying is to do fish in after waiting a week.

you'll only need one but imo with the tank you have I'd have to say 450-500 gph.

LAST QUESTION
I think it looks great!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

head over to the nano reef forum , lots of really nice helpful people over there
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

How's it coming?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

You are welcome about recommending the pink Fiji sand. It's one of, if not the prettiest substrate. Sorry I haven't replied lately..... Work work work! Lol so how is everything coming along???? Any questions always feel free to ask!!!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com