Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New, and need help!

Hi everyone,

I currently am suffering from a disease called lupus. It is an autoimmune disease that kills your organs. I am not fairing very well, and part of my coping is to attend pain management therapy classes. It was suggested to me to start an aquarium for stress relief and something to do. I am stuck at home for almost the entire day due to risk of catching something. So, I am at home all day long and need something productive to do, I am only 22 so it sucks, but you have to make the most out of life.

My mom said OK to the aquarium, but she wants a saltwater aquarium. Probably in the range of 20 gallons to the maximum of 29 gallons. I have never dealt with a saltwater tank. I have no idea on what to get, what to buy. I went to a supply store in which they tried to sell my mom and I expensive equipment that was going to cost close to $500 without a TANK. It seemed like a lot of money for smaller tank set-up. If anyone can help me with what to buy for a 20 gallon tank, that would be great. I am willing to learn, but need guidance. i have rad some forums, but would like more specific information on what to buy for a 20 gallon tank.

I am also OCMINPIN neighbor, she directed me to this site.

Thank you!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA! You may need to hit up the saltwater section to get some answers. Hang in there a saltwater tank can be a lot of work plus its not cheap by no.means

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I'd start by searching creigslist for a deal. That'll be your cheapest route. Post it on here so we can check it out and make sure your not gettin ripped off.

To start first we need to know if you want a fish only with LR or reef. And predator or community tank?

Basic things you'll need for everything is 20gallon tank
Hydrometer to test salinity
Nitrite nitrate and ammonia test kits
20lbs of LR
20lbs of LS
A power head
Thermometer
Heater

The rest depends on the answers to the questions I asked.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Hey! Glad you made it over here! This is the best group of people around... People from all over the world... I've been here a year and have been carried along every step of the way... The unmanageable becomes simple and you know you aren't alone no matter what fishie panic you get in
Welcome to a wonderful underwater family..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #5

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I am thinking a reef with a community tank. I am most likely going to buy slowly once the tank is prepared properly. I will start looking on Craigslist, thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Should I re-post this thread in the saltwater section as well?

And thank you OCMINPIN for the advice to join this wonderful website!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can. I'm sure people will find it either way. And very nice choice! I have a 29gal community reef set up right now.

So in that case you will also need some good lights. I'm not the best person to talk to about that but I have t-5 4bulb high output lights and I can grow anything in my tank

You'll also need phosphate mag calc alk test kits. I don't think I mentioned it before but you'll also need ph.

The more LR and more Porus it is, the better.

For a tank that small a skimmer is optional. I don't have one.

Usually you can find a complete reef set up on creigslist for a decent price. Then we can help you more and get you started with your cycle while your waiting read up on the nitrogen cycle and look on liveaquaria.com for some fish ideas.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #7

My mom came home with a used 28 gallon acrylic hexagon tank with a stand she got for $60 at a local fish store. I was so excited!

I have to sand and paint the stand though because it needs some TLC, but it is sturdy! I will post pictures later of the before and after for the stand.

It came with the hood and a bulb, but the guy said the bulb was for a fish only tank. I wasn't with my mom when she got the tank, but this is step one, of course. This may seem like a silly question, but for a bulb for a reef tank, do I need to get a different hood, or just the bulb?

Also, he mentioned to my mom that we can bring him the water for testing for free. I know you mentioned to buy testing kits, but he is across the street from my mom's work. Would this be a better option or would the kit still be good for instances that I cannot take the water to him?

Thank you for being so helpful!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgirl
My mom came home with a used 28 gallon acrylic hexagon tank with a stand she got for $60 at a local fish store. I was so excited!

I have to sand and paint the stand though because it needs some TLC, but it is sturdy! I will post pictures later of the before and after for the stand.

It came with the hood and a bulb, but the guy said the bulb was for a fish only tank. I wasn't with my mom when she got the tank, but this is step one, of course. This may seem like a silly question, but for a bulb for a reef tank, do I need to get a different hood, or just the bulb?

Also, he mentioned to my mom that we can bring him the water for testing for free. I know you mentioned to buy testing kits, but he is across the street from my mom's work. Would this be a better option or would the kit still be good for instances that I cannot take the water to him?

Thank you for being so helpful!
Yay for you!

It all depends on wether or not he's using liquid test or strips testing... Strips are known to be inaccurate...
I have the API Master Liquid Test kit... Yours would be the Saltwater Version... I got mine on Amazon for $23... Can find deals there... Beats Petsmart who sells them for $38+!
it will be highly beneficial for you to have one at home when you are doing frequent (sometimes daily) partial water changes and need to test daily... Test results quickly at home work out nicely!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

Hey there, I am new to the saltwater world myself but I really wanted to respond to your post because of your lupus. My wife who is 33 also has lupus, it can be hereditary as her mother had it. My mother in law lived with it her whole life as it never turned on her. I believe it's called systemic lupus. My wife just developed the rash and if she in the sun she does burn quick and gets a rash. Anyhow I just wanted to say hi and if you have any questions or need to talk send me a pm. Good luck on your tank!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com