New and Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloud Chalk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! My name is Jodie and I'm completely new to this hobby.

I have read up on information about tank set ups and I think I have it all wrong! :(

I have a Beta fish (Called Mango) And at first he was in a small tank that was advertised as being made for beta fish, but I felt bad him being in such a small space so I went out and brought a HUGE vase to put him in, I have some gravel, a plastic plant (Which I read might be wrong for him and I might need to buy a silk plant?) a filter, a heater and a thermometer. I am going to add photos so you can get a better idea.

Now my problem is because I'm trying to set up the new tank, I had to take the filter out of Mangos current tank and since there has appeared a lot of white stuff.. almost as if someone has spit in there :confused: (Sorry to be gross) I can't put him in the new tank yet because it hasn't been set up long enough (Less than 24 hours so far) So what should I do?

In the new tank I have put in 2 things, a good bacteria liquid and a water conditioner.. (Will add photos) I filled the new tank with roughly 25 pints of water (I think that's 12 1/2 litres?) The heater I have is an old one and as far as I can tell, you cant set it to stay at a set temperature and when I leave it on constantly it goes over the green area on my thermometer. Do I need to buy a more up to date one?

I feel so bad that I've set up Mango's environment all wrong I don't want him to die or be unhealthy :(

What should I do while I wait for the new tank to be set up? What's the shortest amount of time I can wait before adding him to it?

What would be the BEST set up in the new tank for him? Are fake plants better than real ones? Do I need the filter on full power and is it ok being near the bottom of the tank (there's no movement in the top of the water is this a problem?) I want to give him some friends in the new tank too (I was thinking something like shrimp, neons or guppies)

And once he's in there, is there any small cold water fish I can keep in the smaller tank?

With water changes is it best to keep him in the tank as I take some water out or should I put him in a cup first and change all the water since it has all the weird white stuff in?

Sorry for so many questions! Please help me! :fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_7926.jpg
    IMG_7926.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7895.jpg
    IMG_7895.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 2013-02-24 15.06.26.jpg
    2013-02-24 15.06.26.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2013-02-25 12.24.22.jpg
    2013-02-25 12.24.22.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 61
I hate to say it but I don't think that vase is suitable for a betta. They are air breathers and need surface space to come up for air. I think he was better off in th cube thing. Can you get a 5.5 gallon or 10 gallon tank? Even a 2 gallon tank made for fish would be better.

Live plants are always better.

Bettas like to be kept at 78 - 80 degrees. You also need a good thermometer.

I hate to say it but I don't think that vase is suitable for a betta. They are air breathers and need surface space to come up for air. I think he was better off in th cube thing. Can you get a 5.5 gallon or 10 gallon tank? Even a 2 gallon tank made for fish would be better.

Live plants are always better.

Bettas like to be kept at 78 - 80 degrees. You also need a good thermometer.

OH no D: Do you think any fish would be ok in this vase shape?

The cube tank he is in now also didn't go through a cycle, if I put the filter back in will he be ok? :(

Well honestly I'd get some lucky bamboo for that vase and call it a day. Its really not adequate for a fish. As for the filter, what kind of filter is it?
Many people say a tank as small as yours can never really be cycled. You just need to change out the water frequently. Just make sure you use a water treatment product that dechlorinates. Prime is good and you would only use a few drops at a time for that size. Marineland is ok but you will use more in the long run thus costing more and you really have to shake the stuff.
Hope I helped some.

I will put a picture up of the filter I have and here is a link to a video I just made, I switched out half the water and put the filter back in, is the filter too strong? If I put it lower it turns into a dribble rather then a flow like it is now, is that better? Also you can see in the video he keeps darting around, I think he is fighting with his reflection, is this a problem? Also I'll show you the food I've been giving him, I don't think he likes it, should I get flakes instead?

Test - YouTube

Attachments

• 2013-02-25 15.30.09.jpg
    2013-02-25 15.30.09.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2013-02-25 14.31.35.jpg
    2013-02-25 14.31.35.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 47
Yes he probably sees his reflection. I would move the plant closer to the filter to break up the current and give him more swimming space. Do you have a test kit for the water? That will probably be helpful. Here in the USA we have foods for Bettas specifically like Hikari Betta Bites and a brand I really like called New Life SPectrum, My bettas like it as well. I guess it depends on what is has been used to eating, you might try alternating foods with flakes and pellets.

Ah ok, thankyou so much. :)

I have moved the filter now, no I don't have a water test kit. I will go buy one in the week, btw earlier you mentioned a dechlorination treatment for the water, thats different to the two bottles i already have i take it, would I need to use that aswell as the 2 I have or instead of?

Thanks again for all your help, I will try and find some better food for him and try and take that vase back and get something more suitable!

Thankyou :fish2:

I'm not real sure what is in the two bottles in the pics. If you can get ahold of a product called Prime that is your best bet. It comes in a red and white bottle and you will only need a small bottle.
Good luck with your new fish!

so you said your filter did not seem to be working because of the spit - i LOVE seeing spit nests :D because it usually means the male is working to attract a female into his lovely bubble nest to have fry with him - so it is usually (im still new and learning so correct me if im wrong anyone) seen as a good sign!

Of course the filter producing such a current can be a bit much for a beta in a small space i was trying to get an undergravel filter for my smaller 10g tank ( i usually put a single betta in the larger community tanks)

I love seeing how hard people are trying, to make their fish comfortable and happy! Mango is a beautiful fish, i do agree about the vase, was a great intention but they need to swim up often to breathe - not a massive problem but i prefer longer rather than taller places, since a lot of them really seem (to me ive had a few who all seem to do this) to feel secure around their plants and they LOVE real plants so if you can do that it will be better than silk even.

Good luck ! yes and prime has definitely helped me, i wont look back now - there is some betta water too from Activ flora that seems to really make my new betta's happier than i ever saw them before i used it. I have a new betta arriving soon, cant wait to share pictures :)

Back
Top Bottom