Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Talking New and Worried

Oh boy.
I'm brand new to the forums, and already full of issues.
I've had more bettas than I can possibly count, often spending more on betta medications than on my own food as I would purposely rescue ill ones that no one else knew how to handle.
I've had only one mixed tank prior to my current one (mollies, tetras, and pleco), so this is quite obviously my weak spot.
My current issue?
My 30 gallon tank. I know it's going to have to be upgraded once all of the fishies grow up, but first, it needs some serious help.
1 male betta (pretty guy too), 5 giant danios, and 1 rainbow shark. All jeuveniles (except the betta). My issue? The rainbow shark has gotten way too territorial. I've heard of many success stories with them and danios, but these guys don't get along to well. Is there any fish that I can add to calm them all down?
Help

Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainbows would become more mellow in a 55+ gallon tank. And that's nice what you're doing for the betta's that's awesome!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!

The bigger the tank, the less aggression. If you could upgrade to a bigger sized tank it would work out.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, you may have to re-home the shark. Fish are individuals and some are more aggressive than others. If you can get a bigger thank, that would be best. If not, you could adopt him out or trade him in to your local lfs.
You can also try turning off the light and re-arranging all the decor and plants. That can help diffuse aggression because it messes up the pre-established territories that your fish are defending. You can also try adding more plants and stuff for the danios to escape into. Aggression can sometimes be lessened whe you break up the fish's line of sight so they don't see each other all the time.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, you may have to re-home the shark. Fish are individuals and some are more aggressive than others. If you can get a bigger thank, that would be best. If not, you could adopt him out or trade him in to your local lfs.
You can also try turning off the light and re-arranging all the decor and plants. That can help diffuse aggression because it messes up the pre-established territories that your fish are defending. You can also try adding more plants and stuff for the danios to escape into. Aggression can sometimes be lessened whe you break up the fish's line of sight so they don't see each other all the time.
+1 on everything said ... it's in the RBS nature to show territorial aggression. Ornaments, Plants, Caves and rearranging decor for now. You'll need to upgrade to at least a 55gal to keep an RBS ... they get up to 6" long and the territorial aggression just increases with age.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. It is great what you are doing with the ill Bettas!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com