New and Worried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RatherGray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Oh boy.
I'm brand new to the forums, and already full of issues.
I've had more bettas than I can possibly count, often spending more on betta medications than on my own food as I would purposely rescue ill ones that no one else knew how to handle.
I've had only one mixed tank prior to my current one (mollies, tetras, and pleco), so this is quite obviously my weak spot.
My current issue?
My 30 gallon tank. I know it's going to have to be upgraded once all of the fishies grow up, but first, it needs some serious help.
1 male betta (pretty guy too), 5 giant danios, and 1 rainbow shark. All jeuveniles (except the betta). My issue? The rainbow shark has gotten way too territorial. I've heard of many success stories with them and danios, but these guys don't get along to well. Is there any fish that I can add to calm them all down?
Help :(

Rainbows would become more mellow in a 55+ gallon tank. And that's nice what you're doing for the betta's:) that's awesome!

Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, you may have to re-home the shark. Fish are individuals and some are more aggressive than others. If you can get a bigger thank, that would be best. If not, you could adopt him out or trade him in to your local lfs.
You can also try turning off the light and re-arranging all the decor and plants. That can help diffuse aggression because it messes up the pre-established territories that your fish are defending. You can also try adding more plants and stuff for the danios to escape into. Aggression can sometimes be lessened whe you break up the fish's line of sight so they don't see each other all the time.

Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, you may have to re-home the shark. Fish are individuals and some are more aggressive than others. If you can get a bigger thank, that would be best. If not, you could adopt him out or trade him in to your local lfs.
You can also try turning off the light and re-arranging all the decor and plants. That can help diffuse aggression because it messes up the pre-established territories that your fish are defending. You can also try adding more plants and stuff for the danios to escape into. Aggression can sometimes be lessened whe you break up the fish's line of sight so they don't see each other all the time.

+1 on everything said ... it's in the RBS nature to show territorial aggression. Ornaments, Plants, Caves and rearranging decor for now. You'll need to upgrade to at least a 55gal to keep an RBS ... they get up to 6" long and the territorial aggression just increases with age.

Back
Top Bottom