New Aquarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billydreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I'm just starting my first SW aquarium. I have a 20L tank that used to house a Red Ear Slider turtle (I donated him to a local zoo because he didn't seem to happy alone in my tank :-( ) So I found some room, for some new pets :)

Anyway, I'm just starting out. I've learned a lot from a book I bought about a month ago, and from several hours I've spent browsing this site. I just started my tank today. Filled it with water, and started my filter (Aquaclear 20) and added crushed coral. The water is still quite cloudy from the coral, but starting to clear up (I thought I gave it a good washing, but not quite enough :-?) Tomorrow, I'm going to add the heater, and when the water is at a good enough temp, I'll start adding live rock.

My long term plans: Once the tank is good and cycled, and my tests are comming out good, I'm going to get a few fish (most likely a clown, a goby, and a damsel) a cleaner shrimp (I think they are adorable, and from what I've read, they're a lot of fun.) and a hermit crab or two.

So a few small questions:
1) Does this amount of fish sound fair for 20L?
2) With a long tank like mine, would it be necessacry for a powerhead at one end, and the filter closer to the other, or would the filter be okay near the middle-ish?
3) The guy at the pet store near my house (LFS?) said I could add hermit crabs about a week after start-up, if I'm using LR. Does this sound right? Or shoud I wait until the tank is fully cycled?
4) What is the deal with the store bought cocktail shrimp? Even the guy at the pet store hadn't heard that one.

This turned out to be kind of a long introduction. But if anyone could give me any guidance, or answer my questions, it would be great. Thanks a lot!

Welcome to AA. Do me a favor and post these questions over at the SW forum called getting started. You`ll get much more answers over at that forum. Again welcome to AA. I`ll answer your questions over there.

:-DWelcome to AA
If you click on the articles link above there is some good info there that will answer some questions for you. Some helpfull tips would be to use RO/DI water, have good flow 10-15x tanks volume and be very patient. Take your time and ask a lot of questions on this site. Also you may find that many saltwater aquarists use a sugarfine sand as the substrate, The crushed coral collects debree and harms water quality. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom