New Aquarist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skamble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys! Noob aquarist here. I just recently got into the fish keeping hobby. I just got a starter tank. Its a Deep blue professional 29 gal tank kit from my local pet shop. It doesn't look to great so far, pretty modest atm. I have a few fish in it getting it cycled. i would like to get a few live plants soon. I have gravel substrate set-up for now. Any suggestions on easy plants? They will be low light plants.

Check into fishless cycles there super easy and you don't have to hurt fish to do it!! But any anubias plants should work!! Ohh and welcome to AA

Skamble said:
Hi guys! Noob aquarist here. I just recently got into the fish keeping hobby. I just got a starter tank. Its a Deep blue professional 29 gal tank kit from my local pet shop. It doesn't look to great so far, pretty modest atm. I have a few fish in it getting it cycled. i would like to get a few live plants soon. I have gravel substrate set-up for now. Any suggestions on easy plants? They will be low light plants.

Hi and welcome!
Nothing wrong with fish in cycles if done correctly. :) Do you own a test kit at all? How often are you doing water changes?
Here is the guide to fish in cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
What kind of lighting do you have? It will determine what plants you can grow successfully.

Hi and welcome!
Nothing wrong with fish in cycles if done correctly. :) Do you own a test kit at all? How often are you doing water changes?
Here is the guide to fish in cycling.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
What kind of lighting do you have? It will determine what plants you can grow successfully.

Thanks for the guide. Found out about fish less cycling after i got my fish.
I gave the tank 24 hrs before i got fish( recommended by pet store). I started my tank 12/5. I have three fish. Two platy's and a mollie. I just got the API Master FW test kit yesterday. I did the tests. Ammonia is around 0.50ppm. i did about a 20% change yesterday. The tank started to smell today heard it was part of the nitrogen process. I plan on doing another 25% change soon. How often should i do water changes?
My light says 14w daylight 10kk

Skamble said:
Thanks for the guide. Found out about fish less cycling after i got my fish.
I gave the tank 24 hrs before i got fish( recommended by pet store). I started my tank 12/5. I have three fish. Two platy's and a mollie. I just got the API Master FW test kit yesterday. I did the tests. Ammonia is around 0.50ppm. i did about a 20% change yesterday. The tank started to smell today heard it was part of the nitrogen process. I plan on doing another 25% change soon. How often should i do water changes?
My light says 14w daylight 10kk

You need to do a PWC (partial water change) everytime ammonia or nitrite get over 0.25ppm. It can take from 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank. You need to test once a day and may need to do a PWC 1-2 times a day. If your ammonia is at .50ppm do a 50% PWC to bring it down to .25ppm.

Welcome to AA, Skamble.

Good luck with your tank and enjoy your stay :)

You need to do a PWC (partial water change) everytime ammonia or nitrite get over 0.25ppm. It can take from 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank. You need to test once a day and may need to do a PWC 1-2 times a day. If your ammonia is at .50ppm do a 50% PWC to bring it down to .25ppm.

Ok thanks for the advice!
Yeah just read the box my light came with. It's a t5. Can i start planting anytime? Should i wait for the tank to be cycled?
:thanks:

Skamble said:
Ok thanks for the advice!
Yeah just read the box my light came with. It's a t5. Can i start planting anytime? Should i wait for the tank to be cycled?
:thanks:

You can add plants when ever you want. Plants actually love cycling tanks. :) Do a little research on what plants you plan to get. They have different needs like java fern and anubias like to be tied to wood and rocks not in the substrate and swords are heavy root feeders so do well with root tabs.

You can add plants when ever you want. Plants actually love cycling tanks. :) Do a little research on what plants you plan to get. They have different needs like java fern and anubias like to be tied to wood and rocks not in the substrate and swords are heavy root feeders so do well with root tabs.

Awesome I'll do some research then. :cool:
I'll have to post some pics when i get my tank looking nice.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom