New Aquarist Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanerOH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I am a beginner aquarist with a new 10 gallon tank (cycled - no yelling) and, so far, 3 black widow/skirt tetras. Feel free to check out the tank and give some suggestions for additions, things to keep in mind, fish advice, etc. I am lucky enough to have found this forum at the beginning of my journey rather than after something bad happened.

Hope to meet you all and become as near an expert as I can.

Thanks!

Eric - Fish Newbie :facepalm:

So far I love it although I am already jealous of the bigger, fancier tanks I see on here. I'm only at 10g and 3 fish but I think I may be "hooked".

So far I love it although I am already jealous of the bigger, fancier tanks I see on here. I'm only at 10g and 3 fish but I think I may be "hooked".

Don't be jealous we all start at the bottom and work our way up. But it should be the other way around, if ya know what I mean. Heck I still have my 10 gallon and running ;)

It has been interesting so far as I get so much conflicting info from the LFS, the forums, and a passionate coworker. I am doing my research to negotiate all 3 and make sure I have a sweet tank set up until I get an upgrade.

Be careful with stocking your tank. With such a small tank, you have to do water changes quite often. The more fish you add, the quicket your chemistry gets out of balance...especially with ammonia...which is very toxic to fish. Your best friend is water changes. Try to age your water before adding to the tank. This will remove chlorine and chloramines naturally...and save you money on chemicals like start right and other water conditioners. The other caution is with over feeding. The general rule of thumb with a tank this small is about 30 seconds and 2-3 feedings per day. WATER CHANGES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. The smaller the tank, the more frequent the need for water changes...I suggest at least 20% daily at a minimum (2 gallons).
Good luck....Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom