Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouramii View Post
I do not own a test kit... yet.

I am returning most of the gouramis back to the store because I noticed some fin problems with them plusss I have too many males. The store clerk obviously didn't investigate the genders when I asked. I'm planning to lower my fish count to 3 and save up for a 20 gallon before adding more.
Ok. Yeah, test kits are good things. You should look into your parameters because you may not have allowed a full cycle to take place. Also, poor params can cause fin problems.
Sorry to say this, but I think only one dg per 10 gallons is actually all you should keep. Also, honeys get bigger and, imo, do not belong in a 10 at all. If you want 3, good luck. Its hard to find female dg's. I have only seen them in a store once or twice ever. But, I think you will have issues with 3 in a 10g since they are territorial. If you just keep one, you can get a school of small tetras like neons or embers to live with him though until you can afford a bigger tank to keep more gouramis.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Test kit is definitely on my list.

And thank you so much for helping me realize the problem these stores have caused for me. I thought everything was going so well but nope! Thank goodness this site exists. I've learned so much in a... Hour. That is freaking wicked.

Oh, and I should explain the fin problem I mentioned. It looks like packing damage. Like, when all those fish get shipped in that one bag, it seems to have bent the two dwarf's "whiskers". No fin rot or anything like that at all.

I'm certainly going to try and get my money back. The "guy" told me it'd be fine to put all those fish in.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #13
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouramii View Post
Test kit is definitely on my list.

And thank you so much for helping me realize the problem these stores have caused for me. I thought everything was going so well but nope! Thank goodness this site exists. I've learned so much in a... Hour. That is freaking wicked.

Oh, and I should explain the fin problem I mentioned. It looks like packing damage. Like, when all those fish get shipped in that one bag, it seems to have bent the two dwarf's "whiskers". No fin rot or anything like that at all.

I'm certainly going to try and get my money back. The "guy" told me it'd be fine to put all those fish in.
Oh man, I can't even count how many times people on here (myself included) have been led astray by random pet store employees. Some stores are awesome with an well-educated staff, and some are deplorable. There are a few posts on here about newbie downfalls. I guess one lesson a lot of us (myself included) learned was to do our own research and not trust a fish store employee unless they prove to us that they know what they are talking about. In the end, a lot of them want to sell as a first priority, and some of them just have no idea what they are talking about.
Yeah, I have seen gouramis like that before. Its sad that they get hurt like that. I also hate the dying process. I NEVER buy died fish either.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #14
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Oh man, I can't even count how many times people on here (myself included) have been led astray by random pet store employees. Some stores are awesome with an well-educated staff, and some are deplorable. There are a few posts on here about newbie downfalls. I guess one lesson a lot of us (myself included) learned was to do our own research and not trust a fish store employee unless they prove to us that they know what they are talking about. In the end, a lot of them want to sell as a first priority, and some of them just have no idea what they are talking about.
Yeah, I have seen gouramis like that before. Its sad that they get hurt like that. I also hate the dying process. I NEVER buy died fish either.
I would suggest you get the test kit, double check that you are well-cycled, fix any issues there if there are any, and look into a small school of fish to go with your gourami. I keep ember tetras in my 10 with a betta. They are great. Bright colored and very peaceful. Not fin nippers or anything. You can always ask other people about keeping a trio in a 10g if you want. I don't think its a good idea, but somebody else might have a different opinion.
Hmmmm.... I don't know why I quoted myself.... Oops.

Tags
gouramii gourami new help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com