New aquarium 55 gallon and new to aquaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E39530

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bought my 55 gallon about two months ago. I have been researching as it sits empty in my home no fishless cycling just completely empty. I have learned a great deal just researching here and on other forums. I have so far, 55 gallon tank, aquatop cf300 canister filter, marineland 300 watt adjustable heater and stand with canopy.i would like to do a tropical community tank with some live plants. I have several questions to ask of the members with experience.

1. What type of light is recommended for the type of canopy I have pic attached?
2. Should it be secured to the canopy or be supported by the tank structure?

3. I would like a light with a white light and blue or or moon light option to alternate between the two, should I purchase two lights?

4. The day light it produces needs to be sufficient for plant growth.

Substrate, I really want sand any suggestions!

Also any advice not pertaining to my questions are welcomed and appreciated. Teach the newb;)

I can't figure out why the picture keeps uploading upside down, I guess the forum doesn't like my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 69
Bought my 55 gallon about two months ago. I have been researching as it sits empty in my home no fishless cycling just completely empty. I have learned a great deal just researching here and on other forums. I have so far, 55 gallon tank, aquatop cf300 canister filter, marineland 300 watt adjustable heater and stand with canopy.i would like to do a tropical community tank with some live plants. I have several questions to ask of the members with experience.

1. What type of light is recommended for the type of canopy I have pic attached?
2. Should it be secured to the canopy or be supported by the tank structure?

3. I would like a light with a white light and blue or or moon light option to alternate between the two, should I purchase two lights?

4. The day light it produces needs to be sufficient for plant growth.

Substrate, I really want sand any suggestions!

Also any advice not pertaining to my questions are welcomed and appreciated. Teach the newb;)

I can't figure out why the picture keeps uploading upside down, I guess the forum doesn't like my phone.

Hi. Welcome. :)

Can't comment much on lights except mine (LEDs) sit on the tank.

One thing I would suggest if you don't have is a water test kit (liquid not strips).

Back
Top Bottom