Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Aquarium Owner

Hello all. I just purchased a 29 Gallon aquarium yesterday for my first ever aquarium. I wanted to get the 55 gallon but figured I'd get smaller for my first and then add to the collection. I def. didn't want a 10 gallon though, just to small.

Anyways I have it set up currently, been set up for about 24 hours now. Added everything the pet store told me to add (for the nitrogen cycle). I do not have any fish in it yet, I wanted to check here before I went and got any because I don't want to kill them all. The tank has a nice filter, very good aeration, a nice heater, and in-water thermometer. It's sitting at 76 currently. the water has cleared up a ton after adding everything to it yesterday.

I probably went overboard on the aeration... there a good amount to have or not have?

Anyways, I'm not 100% on the nitrogen cycle, everything I read is different. With fish, without, 2 days long, 2 months long, etc etc.

I'm really anxious to get some fish going, but I want to make sure everything is safe for them. In the 29 gallon I really plan on only have about 5-10 fish (of course depending on the size of them).

Anyways, any more information would be fantastic.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome aboard!!! We're glad you found us here at AA! So for fishless cycling which is what I would do since it has the easiest process and less water changes here's the link that basically everyone uses around here: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling. My cycle took about 3 weeks give or take a few days.
So what type of fish are you thinking? I can think of a ton that would be good in there!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and welcome to the forum. The cycle takes as long as it takes,just don't rush patience is a virtue.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really my girlfriend will be doing most of the fish picking. We haven't discussed it in length yet as I figured we had awhile before we would be getting any. My two favorite are beta and angel. I know the angel get about 6" roughly and the beta are good community fish (minus not mixing males).

We are still doing our research though.

I'll be sure to check out that link. I've been told both fish and fishless.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7
Really my girlfriend will be doing most of the fish picking. We haven't discussed it in length yet as I figured we had awhile before we would be getting any. My two favorite are beta and angel. I know the angel get about 6" roughly and the beta are good community fish (minus not mixing males).

We are still doing our research though.

I'll be sure to check out that link. I've been told both fish and fishless.
Some bettas are great in community tanks while others have to be kept solitary. It totally depends on the individual. Just my two cents.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

welcome aboard mate...sounds like your girlfriend is captain of your ship !!! not to worry , you will do just fine . there is plenty of great people and advice here !!!...land ho
Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm. Looks like I've already screwed up for a fishless cycle. Ive already added the stuff the LFS told me too. I guess they were prepping me for a fish cycle, not fishless.

Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What all have you put in the water so far? If it's only dechlorinator, and bacteria in a bottle you are still good to go with fishless cycle. At the very worst you would have to drain tank and start over, I don't think that will be the case.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster53 View Post
What all have you put in the water so far? If it's only dechlorinator, and bacteria in a bottle you are still good to go with fishless cycle. At the very worst you would have to drain tank and start over, I don't think that will be the case.
Yeah. Bacteria in a bottle then some stuff that was suppose to "quicken" the nitrogen cycle. They both seems like bacteria in a bottle almost.

So I could just go pick up my decorations and then start with a bottle of pure ammonia and start there? Just follow that guide?

Currently all that's in the tank is my gravel, and my aerator and filter and heater. Ill go pick up my other decorations and then start the cycle.

Just seems much more humane to do the fishless cycle.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com