New Aquarium Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. I just purchased a 29 Gallon aquarium yesterday for my first ever aquarium. I wanted to get the 55 gallon but figured I'd get smaller for my first and then add to the collection. I def. didn't want a 10 gallon though, just to small.

Anyways I have it set up currently, been set up for about 24 hours now. Added everything the pet store told me to add (for the nitrogen cycle). I do not have any fish in it yet, I wanted to check here before I went and got any because I don't want to kill them all. The tank has a nice filter, very good aeration, a nice heater, and in-water thermometer. It's sitting at 76 currently. the water has cleared up a ton after adding everything to it yesterday.

I probably went overboard on the aeration... there a good amount to have or not have?

Anyways, I'm not 100% on the nitrogen cycle, everything I read is different. With fish, without, 2 days long, 2 months long, etc etc.

I'm really anxious to get some fish going, but I want to make sure everything is safe for them. In the 29 gallon I really plan on only have about 5-10 fish (of course depending on the size of them).

Anyways, any more information would be fantastic.

Welcome aboard!!! We're glad you found us here at AA!:welcome: So for fishless cycling which is what I would do since it has the easiest process and less water changes here's the link that basically everyone uses around here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html. My cycle took about 3 weeks give or take a few days.
So what type of fish are you thinking? I can think of a ton that would be good in there!!!

Really my girlfriend will be doing most of the fish picking. We haven't discussed it in length yet as I figured we had awhile before we would be getting any. My two favorite are beta and angel. I know the angel get about 6" roughly and the beta are good community fish (minus not mixing males).

We are still doing our research though.

I'll be sure to check out that link. I've been told both fish and fishless.

millerb7 said:
Really my girlfriend will be doing most of the fish picking. We haven't discussed it in length yet as I figured we had awhile before we would be getting any. My two favorite are beta and angel. I know the angel get about 6" roughly and the beta are good community fish (minus not mixing males).

We are still doing our research though.

I'll be sure to check out that link. I've been told both fish and fishless.

Some bettas are great in community tanks while others have to be kept solitary. It totally depends on the individual. Just my two cents.

welcome aboard mate...sounds like your girlfriend is captain of your ship !!! not to worry , you will do just fine . there is plenty of great people and advice here !!!...land ho

Hmm. Looks like I've already screwed up for a fishless cycle. Ive already added the stuff the LFS told me too. I guess they were prepping me for a fish cycle, not fishless.

Thoughts?

What all have you put in the water so far? If it's only dechlorinator, and bacteria in a bottle you are still good to go with fishless cycle. At the very worst you would have to drain tank and start over, I don't think that will be the case.

What all have you put in the water so far? If it's only dechlorinator, and bacteria in a bottle you are still good to go with fishless cycle. At the very worst you would have to drain tank and start over, I don't think that will be the case.

Yeah. Bacteria in a bottle then some stuff that was suppose to "quicken" the nitrogen cycle. They both seems like bacteria in a bottle almost.

So I could just go pick up my decorations and then start with a bottle of pure ammonia and start there? Just follow that guide?

Currently all that's in the tank is my gravel, and my aerator and filter and heater. Ill go pick up my other decorations and then start the cycle.

Just seems much more humane to do the fishless cycle.

I am really glad to see you doing the research first. Thank you for that!

The "bacteria in a bottle" is very hit-or-miss. It is a classic example of a fish store selling you something that you do not need. No harm done in this case (well, you are missing some money in your wallet). Some other items can be much more of a problem, so if a fish store employee suggests something, write down the name of the product and run it by the people here. You will get honest, experienced opinions and save yourself some hassle, and probably some money, too.

For right now, invest in an API Master test kit. If you are doing a fishless cycle, that is very important. Later, you will want a bottle of Prime water conditioner and a gravel cleaning syphon. You might want to look into a "Python" for water changes...a 29 gallon tank can be maintained with a manual gravel cleaner, but the Python really makes tank maintanance MUCH more pleasant!

Make sure you get the right type of ammonia (free of surfactants, dyes, fragrances, etc).

Also, what kind of filter do you have? Brand/model, etc.

Hi and welcome to AA! Good for you for doing your research first! Know anyone with an established healthy tank? Some seeding material really speeds up your cycle. I got 2this tank in decorations and was cycled in just under 2 weeks.

I am really glad to see you doing the research first. Thank you for that!

The "bacteria in a bottle" is very hit-or-miss. It is a classic example of a fish store selling you something that you do not need. No harm done in this case (well, you are missing some money in your wallet). Some other items can be much more of a problem, so if a fish store employee suggests something, write down the name of the product and run it by the people here. You will get honest, experienced opinions and save yourself some hassle, and probably some money, too.

For right now, invest in an API Master test kit. If you are doing a fishless cycle, that is very important. Later, you will want a bottle of Prime water conditioner and a gravel cleaning syphon. You might want to look into a "Python" for water changes...a 29 gallon tank can be maintained with a manual gravel cleaner, but the Python really makes tank maintanance MUCH more pleasant!

Make sure you get the right type of ammonia (free of surfactants, dyes, fragrances, etc).

Also, what kind of filter do you have? Brand/model, etc.

The filter is an aqueon quiet flow power filter CA30 for a 30 gallon tank.

Im going today to get the ammonia and API test kit. That should be all I need for now correct?

Hi and welcome to AA! Good for you for doing your research first! Know anyone with an established healthy tank? Some seeding material really speeds up your cycle. I got 2this tank in decorations and was cycled in just under 2 weeks.

I don't. I'll be going from scratch haha.

I'm starting it today. The tank has been set up and running for about 48 hours now but I'm gonna get the ammonia today and start the fishless cycle.

I explained the diff to the girlfrien and she refused to do a with fish cycle she said it wasn't humane.ill be getting the ammonia and API kit in a few hours.

Oh. So this bacteria in a bottle, do I just throw it away? Or will I use it during PWC's as ammonia would kill the fish?

You pour the bacteria in a bottle in the tank during cycling to speed it up. You never use it after your tank is established and has residents.

You pour the bacteria in a bottle in the tank during cycling to speed it up. You never use it after your tank is established and has residents.

So the only thing to do during PWCs is the bottle to remove chlorine. Got it.

Thanks all for the help. Been fantastic so far.

millerb7 said:
So the only thing to do during PWCs is the bottle to remove chlorine. Got it.

Thanks all for the help. Been fantastic so far.

Exactly, conditioner is the only thing you add during a pwc.

Okay. Afternoon long hunt for pure ammonia is done. Wow that stuff is hard to find.

29 gallon tank. Thoughts on good starting amount of ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom