Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exclamation New aquarium owner

Hello all!

I'm new to this whole aquarium experience ! My 3 1/2 year old wanted a fish and I was told that bigger tanks were easier to control than little ones! I set up the tank and let it run for a couple days and maintained a temp of 78, I was told to buy tetra safe start to jump start the bacteria! I did just this and 3 fancy guppies and 2 zebra dianos! After just 24 hours 2 guppies have died making my self pretty sad about it, I have read just about every thread I could possibly come accross and nothing is helping! I have a 20 gallon tank water temp is maintained at 78 and ph 7! I read in to the gh and kh but was told that I just needed to worry about the ph! Needless to say since then I have killed 2 more leaving 1 zebra diano to suffer! He is not looking too good! Any help,is much appreciated!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

to AA
First thing is do you have a test kit? And what kind? It sounds to me like you should read up on this and fast before you loose all your fish. If you have any questions just ask this is a great site and people love to help or figure out problems. Your ph is not that big of a deal what is are your ammonia and nitrite levels. Hope this helps oh and these came from our article section here on AA if you want more reading material
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin...tep-dark-side/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...fish-what-now/

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am using test strips and also had the local pet shop test just yesterday and ammonia was at 0 along with nitrate! I really don't want to keep lying to the kiddo and telling her that they are sleeping and the fish store will wake them up aka new one, I know it's horrible! They are really not eating at all and I keep them in a room that is maintained at 77 degrees.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
I am using test strips and also had the local pet shop test just yesterday and ammonia was at 0 along with nitrate! I really don't want to keep lying to the kiddo and telling her that they are sleeping and the fish store will wake them up aka new one, I know it's horrible! They are really not eating at all and I keep them in a room that is maintained at 77 degrees.
Welcome to AA! Most people on this site tend to use the API liquid test kits. The test strips are unreliable and do not read accurate answers. So I would advise getting the API test kits. Hope you like the site so far!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think test strips give you a ''ballpark'' idea of your parameters, but API liquid test kit is more accurate.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so all fish have officially died and I feel horrible, I'm not giving up on the tank though, what should be my next steps? I will be getting a master test kit tomorrow FYI, just test strips now gh 30, kh 40 , ph between 6.5-7.0 no2 0-0.5 and no3 appears to be 20 this is using the test strips so kind of hard to read! Any info is much appreciated
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Read the two articles that Andrew posted above.
And get a liquid test kit. I have done comparative tests and had nitrite at 1 ppm with the liquid and 0ppm with the kit.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Ok so all fish have officially died and I feel horrible, I'm not giving up on the tank though, what should be my next steps?
You need to look into getting an api test kit then move on to cycling the tank I posted articles above on how to. Since you have no fish I would do a fishless cycle. What decor do you have in the tank? Not everything is fish safe. Can you upload a picture?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely go fishless

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-al...ing/Page1.html
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot
Thanks paytertot I just noticed I didn't have the fishless cycle article up there. Haha thanks again

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com