Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Aquarium owner

Hi everyone,
I am new to all this and love it so far. I just bought a beautiful 75 gallon tank a few weeks ago for a freshwater tropical set up. I am going to get two bala sharks and am up in the air on what else. Anyways I have six tiger barbs in there right now to get the tank cycling and ready for my sharks. As expected 2 have died after the first 2week weeks. I have researched everything and understand how to care for them but still have some questions and was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting started right because I plan on doing this for a lifetime!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
to the site! you will learn much!

Here is a link to get you started.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Bala Sharks are schooling so they actually need a bigger tank than a 75

If you want a shark though, you could have a red tail shark or rainbow shark.

As for the barbs, I recommend getting 5 regular, 5 green, and 5 albino tiger barbs. The contrast looks very nice. And for a centerpiece, you could do a convict cichlid!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29
And for a centerpiece, you could do a convict cichlid!
IMHO, I would not do convict cichlids in a tank with barbs, although I do love this fish, I don't often recommend them because of aggression issues. Convicts often tend to get very nasty and will establish territories in the tank and especially around breeding time you can see the height of their aggression level. I have heard about convicts tearing apart a full grown oscar before. Plus if you have a male and a female they will breed like rabbits and not many LFS will take them. With a tank that size you have so many possibilities.
Best of luck, happy fishkeeping, oh and of course
~*Welcome to AA*~
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanx for the advice....I am going to be stocking up on some schooling fish and at least one sucker fish (which I know grow big fast!) Over the weekend I had a very experienced aquarium owner look at my set up and said I was doing every thing right all my water levels are good....and tank is clear and clean...im a little obsessive about keeping the tank clean... but he did suggest a second filter...does anyone else run two filters for a 75 gallon tank?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark21
Thanx for the advice....I am going to be stocking up on some schooling fish and at least one sucker fish (which I know grow big fast!) Over the weekend I had a very experienced aquarium owner look at my set up and said I was doing every thing right all my water levels are good....and tank is clear and clean...im a little obsessive about keeping the tank clean... but he did suggest a second filter...does anyone else run two filters for a 75 gallon tank?
I run 3 aqua tech 30/60's on my 75 gal. Tank doesn't even look like it has water in it unless the water level gets a little low.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

Welcome to AA by the way!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
IMHO, I would not do convict cichlids in a tank with barbs, although I do love this fish, I don't often recommend them because of aggression issues. Convicts often tend to get very nasty and will establish territories in the tank and especially around breeding time you can see the height of their aggression level. I have heard about convicts tearing apart a full grown oscar before. Plus if you have a male and a female they will breed like rabbits and not many LFS will take them. With a tank that size you have so many possibilities.
Best of luck, happy fishkeeping, oh and of course
~*Welcome to AA*~
Yes, I recommended only one because they breed like there is no tomorrow and become extremely aggressive during this time. Putting a breeding pair in a tank with any other fish is just asking for something to die. But I believe that they can be with barbs if there is only one convict, with lots of decor and hiding places. I started a thread once about keeping TB's with a convict.
Compatibility of these fish
Old 09-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Hope you like the site so far!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to the forum.

I have two filters in each of my 55 gallon tanks, so yes I suggest two. I like aqua clear 110, but for a 75 there are loads of canisters to choose as well.

Why not build up your school of tiger barbs, I have 20 in a 55, and they're loads of fun to watch.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com