new aquarium problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexlucas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi,please could someone give me some advice had my aquarium running for about 2 months now have had afew problems and been having the water tested regularly. a week ago the the water was still alittle high in a amonia so have been puttig amonia lock in and the fish have been fine and the water is very clear until yesterday the water has become very cloudy so does anyone now what could have caused this and what i could do about it please thanks zoe

Welcome Aboard!

Is it milky cloudy? Sounds like a bacteria bloom, which means you tank might be getting close to the second stage of cycling (so to speak). Bad part is the ammo lock might be keeping the ammo in check sans regular PWC, but when the nitrItes (no2) hit, it won't protect you fish from it. I'd suggest getting a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) and doing regular 50% PWC (partial water changes).

Here's a link that'll help you along: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

mr. limpet

Welcome Aboard!

Is it milky cloudy? Sounds like a bacteria bloom, which means you tank might be getting close to the second stage of cycling (so to speak). Bad part is the ammo lock might be keeping the ammo in check sans regular PWC, but when the nitrItes (no2) hit, it won't protect you fish from it. I'd suggest getting a liquid test kit (ie API FW Master test kit) and doing regular 50% PWC (partial water changes).

Here's a link that'll help you along: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
dont know if ive done this right but thankyou will have look now

most of us go threw the same thing. it is the just another cycle your going threw. its ok. but!!!!! go to the nearest fish store and ask for a bottle of bacteria. fish need good bacteria to live and a couple of drops of that will speed up the process. if you use this then dont do a water change until the following week and only do a 25% water change. give the bacteria time to develop in the filters and on the rocks. theirs also some white rocks that they sell that you can put in a baggy but i forgot the name of um. those house the bacteria as well, but dont ever let those rock out of water after cause the bacteria will die.

Back
Top Bottom