New at this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acequist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody,
I am a college student at Cal Poly in California, and i have had a pet turtle for a year and a half now, and i just started getting into fish keeping. I used to have a 45g tank in elementary school that i got to pick the fish for, but my dad took care of (so not really mine!). And now i am in the process of cycling my first tank.

Im still pretty confused on the process, but its a 10g tank (i wanted bigger, but i couldn't afford any larger than that.

I know its a bit small, but i eventually plan to get 1 small red tailed shark, some ghost shrimp, and four schooling fish, but im not sure which.

Hopefully after i graduate, i can get a bigger tank, and move the fish to that.

Welcome to AA! :grin:There are some very nice people with lots of knowledge here and we will help you in setting up and stocking your tank.

Welcome to AA :) Check out the article in my signature on fishless cycling, that should make it less confusing for you. And you'll want to re-think your stocking. a 10g is too small for a red tailed shark

welcometoaa.gif

My current tank is 20" long, i was joping that woud be good enough to house a red tail for one year? then i will be getting a larger tank?

Or is this a no-no?

My current tank is 20" long, i was joping that woud be good enough to house a red tail for one year? then i will be getting a larger tank?

Or is this a no-no?
That's fine. Looking forward to your tank build in the future.

my biggest problem with getting a fish that needs a bigger tank than you have is that 9 out of 10 times, people think that because the fish isnt 5' long, it doesnt need a bigger tank. live aquaria says that fish needs a 50+ gallon tank, even though it only gets to around 4" or so. the reason is that it can become quite aggressive to other fish if it doesnt have enough territory to claim its own. They are also very active swimmers, something it wont be able to do in a 10g tank. Thats jmo on it though

my biggest problem with getting a fish that needs a bigger tank than you have is that 9 out of 10 times, people think that because the fish isnt 5' long, it doesnt need a bigger tank. live aquaria says that fish needs a 50+ gallon tank, even though it only gets to around 4" or so. the reason is that it can become quite aggressive to other fish if it doesnt have enough territory to claim its own. They are also very active swimmers, something it wont be able to do in a 10g tank. Thats jmo on it though

Completely agree. Except i just got into the same situation with my red tail shark in a 10g. It was a present i wasent expecting. But it is alone in the 10g and my 75g is cycling.

Completely agree. Except i just got into the same situation with my red tail shark in a 10g. It was a present i wasent expecting. But it is alone in the 10g and my 75g is cycling.

yeah, your situation is a little bit different. you have the tank, and you're more or less qt'ing it if you think about it... you didnt have much of a choice though. receiving one as a gift and buying one knowing better are two totally different things, agree?

Welcome to AA. there other options out there. i would just stick to the schooling fish until you get a bigger tank. also check out wet pets in the area its a good lfs.

Back
Top Bottom