New at this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm new with this hobby, and yes...I have the "fish disease" as my husband calls it. I have a 36 gal Bow front with African Cichlids. Setup a 10 gal for quarantine tank...it is already a nursery (Red Zebras)! Working on a place for a 125 gal tank to move the larger Cichlids to.

I do have some kind of algae? problem in the 36 gal tank. It is a reddish-brownish colored powdery film which is on practically everything. It started as a couple little spots and is rapidly spreading. It is on the glass, rocks, plant (which are fakies), heater, filter tubing, etc. It wipes off quite easily with the algae scrapper. Any ideas of what this may be and how to get rid of it? This tank has been setup for approximately 4-5 months.

TIA
Patti

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Your algae sounds like diatomes. Algae eaer fish should take care of it in FW.

I can't help you with the algae, but as a fellow cichlid keeper--I am jealous! Baby cichlids AND working on a place for a 125 gal!!! I thought I was lucky when my fiancé decided it was time for an 80 gal. Our tanks are out of direct sunlight and there is virtually no algae growth.

Thank you!

Thank you to all for the quick responses - diatomes! I'll be taking care of those little buggers!

Menagerie
I wasn't trying for a nursery...it just happened. My friends tried to breed Cichlids in the past, didn't work out for them. Wouldn't you know, a novice and it "just happens!"

My tank tenants are:

1- Cyphotilspia frontosa
1 -Neolamprologus leleupi orange
1- Neolamprologus pulcher "daffodil"
1- Aulonocara baenschi "Benga yellow"
1- Cytocara moorii "hap moorii" (Blue Dolphin)
1- Metriaclima estherae "red zebra" (currently in nursery tank)
1- Pseudotropheus aurora Mozambique
1- Pseudotropheus elongates Chewere
1- Pseudotropheus socolofi albino
1- Pseudotropheus estherae Minos Reef
2 - Pseudotrpoheus polit
1 - Labidochromis caeruleus "electric yellow"
1 - Ancistrus "veil tail bushy nose" pleco (Moved to nursery tank)

Right now, they are all getting along quite well. I will need to get them moved before they get too large. The Frontosa and the Blue Dolphin will grow to approx. 12-14". Definitely need to put them in a larger tank. I'm still learning about this and I always welcome any advice.

Patti

Welcome to the forum- Nice to see another "-girl" around here!

Diatoms does seem to be what you have, and is common in newer setups. That pleco would probably handle it for you, but it should also start to go away as the tank matures. Keep your nitrates down and algae in general will have a more difficult time.

You do have quite a few fish in that tank, and you will most likely need to move some of them out as they mature, as you mentioned. If only I had such problems! :wink:

Welcome to the boards!

Yes, it is good to see more women involved in this hobby, and as members of the forums.
1- Metriaclima estherae "red zebra" (currently in nursery tank)

Just curious, if you only have one of these, are your fry cross-breeds? I think rift lake chiclids readily cross breed, but I'm not certain.

I wasn't trying for a nursery...it just happened. My friends tried to breed Cichlids in the past, didn't work out for them. Wouldn't you know, a novice and it "just happens!"
I hear that! I have a socolofi that is currently mouth brooding. I know I didn't ask her to do that! In the end, I just love watching little fry!
"fish disease"
I missed that the first time. You know, there is no known cure for Multiple Tank Syndrome!

Back
Top Bottom