Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Betta

I purchased a Betta this weekend. I have her set up in a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater. Concerned about it being a new tank and not cycled. I came here to seek advice and help along the way.
I have been wanting a white betta for 6 years and I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase one having it shipped. I just happened to be in a local pet store and there she was (he, is a she to me). Even more beautiful than I had imagined with a pink and blue sheen to her fins, iridescent. Anyhow, she came home immediately. I have had freshwater fish in the past, it’s been years though. Never a betta. Until now.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi! I'm new at the entire fish-keeping thing, but I actually got into it with a betta. From my understanding, it's obviously not ideal to have a tank that isn't cycled when you purchase the fish. That being said, I did do this and my betta has done very, very well. I did have a bloom (my son may or may not have fed the fish when I wasn't looking), but I did a 30% change, followed by a 20% change a week later. It cleared up and the tank looks great. In fact, I just bought a blue and white betta on Sunday. I couldn't resist. You said you had fish before, so I assume you bought some water conditioner?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you could get some established filter media from someone or the store where you bought it and put it in your filter it would speed up the cycling . Otherwise , get an ammonia test kit and test daily , do 50% water changes to keep ammonia below .25ppm .You should get an API master test kit cause you should monitor Nitrite and Nitrate till cycled . Search here or the web for fish in cycling/nitrogen cycle for the most info . A live plant or 2 will help also . Good luck .
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do a 50% water change every 3 days to make sure the water doesn't foul on you.

Buy an API freshwater master test kit. Test the water every 2-3 days. You can set up a water change schedule easier if you know what the water is doing.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com