Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Betta Owner

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chelsi & I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful male half moon dumbo Betta. His name is Falcor. The pet store said he was a baby. He lives in a 5 gallon palace just for him.

I use to have a 15 gallon wide tank years ago, but never had a Betta. So I am new to Betta's, but not new to tanks. However, it has been so long now that I feel like I know nothing about it now. I have to admit that I am having some trouble getting going on this tank. I am starting to feel like the more research I do, the more I realize that the pet store probably didn't give me the best information as a beginner.

Any advice for beginners is welcome. Thanks and have a beautiful day!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Congrats! I hope your tank is cycled to keep you new baby safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

Welcome!

Yay you for getting a 5 gallon tank for a betta, that's a perfect size! Have you done a fishless cycle on the 5 gallon tank because that really helps keep the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites levels low? I would also suggest some low light plants like java fern or Moss balls. Bettas love a natural environment.
I'll be glade to help if you have questions, I'm a beginner too but I could share research I've done and the success I've had with my betta and planted 5 gallon tank.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Congrats! I hope your tank is cycled to keep you new baby safe.

Unfortunately I didn't. I feel really stupid now for following the advice at Pet Smart vs doing the research myself. Also, the pet store didn't recommend the correct additive for the water, so I was not adding any good bacteria, not neutralizing the ammonia, nitrates/nitrites. I have since gotten the correct stuff that I needed, and gave him a double dose as recommended for new tanks. However, I fear that I realized all of this too late. I think (not positive) that he may have tale rot and/or swimming bladder disease. I honestly am not sure exactly what to look for or what to do for him. There is so much contradicting information on the web. Some one say to do one thing while others say not to. If you have any advice for me that would be wonderful. Have a blessed day.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #6

Advice

If you could take some pictures of your betta we could better help you figure out what's wrong with him. Also I suggest doing a fishless cycle on your tank using this method.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 10-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellylane View Post
Yay you for getting a 5 gallon tank for a betta, that's a perfect size! Have you done a fishless cycle on the 5 gallon tank because that really helps keep the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites levels low? I would also suggest some low light plants like java fern or Moss balls. Bettas love a natural environment.
I'll be glade to help if you have questions, I'm a beginner too but I could share research I've done and the success I've had with my betta and planted 5 gallon tank.
Thank you so very much. I think that I may have really messed up here. I did not understand what cycling meant, and should not have followed the instructions given to me at Pet Smart. They said just to let the tank run for 1-3 days before adding fish. Well they never said to add anything to the water. No good bacteria, no dechlorinater, no salt, no stress coat, NOTHING! I finally am just now getting the water quality to good but I think it may be to late for my little guy. He is swimming around just fin and eating, but he has some horrible big rips in his caudal fin. The white/pink color at the tips is turning a dark blue and all the tips are becoming very jagged like they are being bitten but he is the only fish in the tank. I put softer rocks in the tank, took out everything that could hurt his fins. Replace all plants with silk plants only (don't want to use live plants), fixed the intake so he is not getting sucked into it anymore. The water is covered with bubble nests all over so I know he is somewhat happy. I thought for sure that his fins were getting better since they looked like the rips were growing back.....however just today I notice a really huge rip in his caudal fin again. Yesterday I read that they can over flar and rip their fins, and he was flaring a ton yesterday. I just cannot decide if this is tail rot or just ripped fins. I am kinda freaking out. I am trying to find answers online but there is so much contradiction. Some say to use salt with every water change, others say only when treating them for something. Some say use betta fix, while others say it can suffocate them. Some say to use medication from the store while others say not to use an rx. Some say cut the bad part of the fins off, while others say it is not necessary. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much. Have a blessed day
Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellylane View Post
If you could take some pictures of your betta we could better help you figure out what's wrong with him. Also I suggest doing a fishless cycle on your tank using this method.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
I am new to the site. I attached some pictures but I don't see them showing. I will try again. Thanks
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Betta's are pretty tough. Looking forward to some pics so you can get some help. I have inherited some sickly Betta's and they bounced back.

There are links on the getting started for fish in cycles. Lots of water changes but it is possible to do.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #10

Advice

Okay it sounds like he's just has a ripped fin that keeps reopening because of the flaring, I would check to make sure he's not seeing his reflection to much. This can happen if you use a tank light which I wouldn't use at all in a betta tank because they come from darker water and the light stresses them out. As far as fixing his fins, you did good with removing any hazzards from the tank. I think the next step is to treat his fins, I like to use ick meds, I know it's supposed to be used only if they have ick but I feel like it does a good job healing fins. Also the aquarium salt is a good idea if they are sick but don't use it all the time and only a very small amount, if you have a 5 gallon I'd say just add a teaspoon. Then when you do your weekly water change the salt will be removed. You only need the salt for a week as medication.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com