Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk33

I see very little or no nitrite but between 10 and 20 nitrates.
Ok that's fine. Now for me and I can only speak from my own experience, I never saw a nitrite spike ever during my cycle or after(9 months later) I saw nitrAtes and ammonia. My tank did sit for about a month though in the cycle process because I had some more important things to attend to. The shrimp stayed in for about a week and a half. Then I switched to marine pellet food and added some CUC members to battle the diatoms. Once that was all done I just started to add some coral then a pair of clowns and so on and so on.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Ok that's fine. Now for me and I can only speak from my own experience, I never saw a nitrite spike ever during my cycle or after(9 months later) I saw nitrAtes and ammonia. My tank did sit for about a month though in the cycle process because I had some more important things to attend to. The shrimp stayed in for about a week and a half. Then I switched to marine pellet food and added some CUC members to battle the diatoms. Once that was all done I just started to add some coral then a pair of clowns and so on and so on.
Great.
So once my nitrates start to fall I should be through the cycle process and be able to add a CUC?
__________________

__________________
dirk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk33

Great.
So once my nitrates start to fall I should be through the cycle process and be able to add a CUC?
IMO yes. Sometimes for reasons I don't have an answer for, you don't see nitrites. I didn't see them in my SW or FW tanks.

I added my CUC shortly after.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk33

Great.
So once my nitrates start to fall I should be through the cycle process and be able to add a CUC?
Your nitrates will only come down after a partial water change. Ammonia should rise, then nitrites should rise, then you will see nitrates show up. Then ammonia and nitrites should fall to zero. At that point you nitrates will probably be high. Do a partial water change-50% if needed-to get nitrates at 20 or below. At that point you're ready to slowly start adding fish. Good luck!!
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

Your nitrates will only come down after a partial water change. Ammonia should rise, then nitrites should rise, then you will see nitrates show up. Then ammonia and nitrites should fall to zero. At that point you nitrates will probably be high. Do a partial water change-50% if needed-to get nitrates at 20 or below. At that point you're ready to slowly start adding fish. Good luck!!
^^^ this is all true and sound advice.

I'm just going off my experience. Never saw Trites and my tank sat for about a month.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.