Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New BioCube 29g

Never really knew I wanted an aquarium until I was in the fish store this weekend and bought the biocube 29 on a whim. It's been a bit daunting trying to get this set up and learning everything that is involved as I knew absolutely nothing about the hobby.
As of right now I have mixed the salt water. Added about 35 lbs of sand and 15 lbs of live rock. I removed the bio balls and added live rock crumble instead. I need some more live rock I think but I have spent enough cash on this tank for the week.
I will get the water tested this week and keep checking it to see how the tank is cycling.
Anything else you guys recommend I should be doing at the moment?
I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions along the way
Thanks.

D

Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!! you've got a good start on your first SW tank! I just started my first SW tank few months ago an just started cycling my 2nd one today!! It's a little addicting once you get started!! Instead of buying all live rock, you could get some base rock and use the live rock you have to seed it. Base rock is much cheaper, about $2/ pound. You really only need about 10-14 more pounds. Is this gonna be fish only with live rock (FOWLR) or u wanna do corals at some point? If you want corals, you'll need more powerheads and flow and good lighting, FOWLR you can get away with stock lighting and less flow, although you will still need some powerheads. What are you using to cycle your tank?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

I would definitely like to do some lps corals at some point. As far as cycling the tank I haven't done anything... I thought the live rock and sand would cycle it, no? Ive read of people adding a shrimp... Is that suggested?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The live rock could cycle the tank, depends on how much die-off you have from the rock. A lot of people put a raw shrimp inside a pantyhose foot, tie it off and throw it in the tank, then just let it decompose for many days. It'll be a constant source of ammonia for the bacteria that you'll need to grow. Then just test your levels everyday, ammonia will rise, then nitrites will rise, then nitrates will rise. Then ammonia and nitrite will go back down to zero, at that point you're cycled and you can do a partial water change and add a fish. This will all take a few weeks.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

I dropped a raw shrimp in there last night, I'll keep a close on the ammonia levels.
Question.. Do I need to keep the lights on during this stage?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk33
I dropped a raw shrimp in there last night, I'll keep a close on the ammonia levels.
Question.. Do I need to keep the lights on during this stage?
Thanks
Keep the lights off, you don't need them on. Just keep testing. The shrimp will work, I used it. My tank cycled fast!! I have 30+ pounds of live rock and 25 pounds of live sand. I'm pretty sure I can contribute the fast cycle to that.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Keep the lights off, you don't need them on. Just keep testing. The shrimp will work, I used it. My tank cycled fast!! I have 30+ pounds of live rock and 25 pounds of live sand. I'm pretty sure I can contribute the fast cycle to that.
How long should it take for ammonia to peak. I put the shrimp in Tuesday. Wednesday I read about .5 ppm ammonia yesterday and today I read about 1ppm. Does all of this sound normal. Also, shrimp is still in tank, should I take that out??
Thanks!
D
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk33

How long should it take for ammonia to peak. I put the shrimp in Tuesday. Wednesday I read about .5 ppm ammonia yesterday and today I read about 1ppm. Does all of this sound normal. Also, shrimp is still in tank, should I take that out??
Thanks!
D
Leave the shrimp in. Did you see any Nitrites or NitrAtes?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Leave the shrimp in. Did you see any Nitrites or NitrAtes?
I see very little or no nitrite but between 10 and 20 nitrates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-253061054.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	116096

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com