New, but already in luv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0311Marine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I purchased a 10 gallon tank just a little over a week ago, and felt in luv right away with this great hobby. With the tank I got a 3 layer filter, 1 live rock, 3 hermit crabs, 1 bottom feeder fish (black and white dots) sleeps in the sands at night, 2 corals and 4 demsels.

I fist put in the water then sand and rock, then let the filter run for about 2 hours (with no water testing), I put in all the fishes. During the 1st night one demsel died, after the 3rd day 2 others died, and finally the fourth day the last one died..... I think one the water is dirty high on all the bad chemicals, and also I didn't have a heater. Temps r around 60s........ Went back to the store got a heater, one more live rock and the owner gave me 2 more demsels.

This time was better, only thing was that the green demsel killed the orange one...... Good news is that the green demsel is very active now, and has claimed it's own hole in the rocks. I tested the water for ph (8.2), ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and low nitrates! Yeaaaaa!

Now, I have added 2 more corals, and 2 clown fish. I been reading up on differ aspects of the hobby, and I can see me with a 100 to 200 gallon tank in the future. Hope to meet many of you on the forum and also look forward for your advices. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you had a steep learning curve with first attempt.

This forum is great for learning but lots of your own personal research is a great idea too before buying fish!! Look into 'cycling' your tank, compatibility and recommended tank size for your fish. Some fish have fairly specific requirements but some are fairly adaptable!

Have fun and enjoy tho :)

Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you had a steep learning curve with first attempt.

This forum is great for learning but lots of your own personal research is a great idea too before buying fish!! Look into 'cycling' your tank, compatibility and recommended tank size for your fish. Some fish have fairly specific requirements but some are fairly adaptable!

Have fun and enjoy tho :)

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom