New, but enthusiastic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ciantarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, my name is Jordana. I live in Portland, OR. I only just got my first one this February. It's a 29 gal freshwater community tank, and it's gone quite well so far. My fiance was the one who suggested it in the first place, but I was the one who became utterly obsessed. Fishkeeping is now my favorite hobby... but I'm still figuring things out, to say the least.

The tank has a total of 20 small fish (3 cories, 2 kuhli loaches, a male and female betta, 3 fancy guppies, 5 zebra danios, and 5 cardinal tetras), plus an African dwarf frog and a mystery snail, so I think I'm done stocking it. I might get some amano shrimp, though (I used to have ghost shrimp, but I think they all ended up as somebody's snack).

I have some live plants (a moss ball, 3 wisteria, a couple of amazon swords which seem to be dying, an anubias, an Aponogeton of some kind, several Cryptocoryne, a red lily -- was very spendy but quite pretty (I hope it lives) and a few other of some plant I can't identify).

Most of my plants have done OK, especially considering that I've moved them around a few times because I'm a noob and don't know how to set up a proper aquascape. I could really use some advice in this regard; I am hoping to get more plants and create a densely planted environment for my fishies.

My Aponogeton's leaves periodically die and I have to remove them, but it continues sprouting new leaves so I guess that's normal (?) My Amazon swords, though, have never done well. My Anubias always has some very small brown spots but seems fine otherwise, and the Wisteria look great. The new lily has a couple of leaves that look either chewed on or decomposing, which worries me. I used to have some kind of primrose plant that would not stay in the substrate, and somebody liked snacking on it I think... so that didn't last long. I've never caught my mystery snail messing with the plants, though.

I have always added Seachem Flourish 1-2x per week. I started adding CO2 booster last week, but so far don't see much of a difference. I didn't know about root tabs when I got my first plants, and wondering if I can use them going forward... or if I even need them.

I want one of those densely planted tanks like I saw at The Wet Spot in Portland... this super amazing aquarium store in the Hollywood District. Now that I've been there, none of the fish or plants at Petco or Petsmart look remotely interesting.

During my first trip to The Wet Spot two weeks ago, I was so excited to get a vampire shrimp (african fan shrimp)... by far the most expensive creature in my tank ($13.50 I think). Unfortunately, I haven't seen her even once since I put her in the tank, which makes me a sad panda. I am hoping she is alright! I read that they bury themselves in the substrate (I have smooth small pebbles and sand, so should be ok) and only come out to feed at night until they get acclimated... I'm wondering if now I have a dead decomposing shrimp somewhere under there :(

Welcome! I'm not the best at stinging by I know eventually some one will come around and say that no to the female and male betta together or something else. This isn't turning out to be a good welcome is it? I would boot up the number of cories to 4 or 5. What type do you have? I have peppered and I love them!

Thanks for your replies! I figured someone would say something along those lines.

I had read things both ways re: the male and female betta, and what I decided was it depends on the personalities of the two bettas involved, since many report they have no problems.

I wouldn't do it over again, though, now that I've done it... They don't seem particularly aggressive toward one another, but the female is obviously the boss and the male hides out a lot. Makes me feel sorry for him. I want to move one of them to their own small tank, but my fiance says no more fish tanks, so we're kinda stuck until I figure out a new plan.

I have a peppered cory, a green cory and an emerald cory. I love them all, and would love to get a couple more... you think they'd be happier in a bigger group?

Hahaha the female is the boss! I've always heard that the male would be the one scaring the female! Lol:D

:welcome: to AA! :)

If they are a different species than the usual betta splendens like betta imbellis or cocina they are usually peaceful to each other.

Back
Top Bottom