New but going BIG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cache.bandit.chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I am brand new to fish keeping but I decided to skip the small steps and jump right into a giant 225 gallon show tank, so I am going to need a lot of help! My plan right now is to turn the tank into a wall divider to separate a game/theater room from home gym I am building in unfinished first floor of my house (I call it a basement...but it is not underground). Once the build is finished I am going to start with just salt water fish, then possibly move on to live rock and coral if everything goes well.

The tank came with a wet/dry filter with the bio balls, and a few lights, but that is really it. What are some of the necessities that I need to start looking for to get this aquarium up and running?

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to your responses!

Chris

Welcome to AA! One of the necessities is a good reading assignment. Check out one of my favorite starter books, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. Outdated with repsect to cycling with fish, but still a good initial eye opener to the hobby. It'll help ya decide on fish only or reef. Some reading will tell you that live rock is a certainty, not something to possibly move onto like you say above. After you decide on inhabitants, it'll help decide on some of the equipment.

The second neccessity is gonna be patience. :) :) Go slow and read for now.

Cruise thru our SW articles section for valuable tips also.

Welcome. I wouldn't a tank without live rock. It's a nescessity in my book, though you don't need it, it makes everything easier. :) Hope you make a build thread when you start your tank. :)

If you are going with a Fish Only tank then your lighting and filtering system is good to go. Let your tank cycle with the bio-balls before adding any fish. A tank that size would do well to have a Protein skimmer added to that list you have. If you intend to go on to a "Reef" setup you will need Live rock at ~1-1 1/2lbs per gallon of tank water. You would also need to upgrade your lights too.
Let us know when you begin and we will all help you with your project. That way we can all get excited too!
Enjoy...

Back
Top Bottom