New Country! New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Fish Fam :D

My names is Ines, I am half egyptian half polish, born and raised in France for 14 years, then lived in Egypt and Kuwait. I am now in Kuwait with my parents.

As I had a very bare and simple aquarium in Egypt, I really wanted another "pet" in Kuwait. Originally I had settled for a Bunny but since I have an office job from 8 to 5 I knew I wouldn't be able to give the bunny the care, love and affection it deserves. As if God heard me, a family member left me to take care of their three betta fishes and two budgies. I won't lie, the bettas aren't well cared for by those people, but as they are not my fishes, there isn't much I can do. So as of now i make sure they eat just enough every day and make daily water changes. (Picture attached)

I had posted long ago when i had a rescue betta i had named toothless.

I am now the happy owner of a 16L or 4.5 Gallons aquarium with three plants that i named "the lily", the "grass looking thing" and the "bush looking thing"
I had a friend help me pick those out.
The tank comes with a great quiet and gentle water filter which gives a very light and gentle flow to the water which I know is important for a betta fish (Yes im going for a betta again)
Ill attach pictures of the tank as of now, and more pictures when I get the fish.

I am so happy to be back here for a new adventure :D

The first pictures is of the three bettas I'm Keeping. Two of them make bubbles every day and one of them looks kinda sad. When we picked him up he wasn't in a clean water at all. Im worried he got an infection.
Second picture is after my friend helped me make the tank settup. Because a part of me is a little OCD i didn't like it and the dust residue at the bottom was annoying me deeply.
After cleaning the dust out and rearanging the plants, here is my final settup. Im making sure the plants are well under the gravel every day step by step, this is a from and side view of the tank. I hadn't turned on the heater at that moment so the temperature is a little cold.

Attachments

• IMG-20150720-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20150720-WA0021.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20150720-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20150720-WA0036.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-20150721-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20150721-WA0007.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-20150721-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20150721-WA0005.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Are you planning on keeping the bettas I those bowls? I would get everyone their own tank. But other than that, it's nice that you're doing this for them! One question: Are those plants real or fake?

Are you planning on keeping the bettas I those bowls? I would get everyone their own tank. But other than that, it's nice that you're doing this for them! One question: Are those plants real or fake?

Hey nils. As I said these bettas are not mine therefore I will have to leave them in those bowls since I am 100% that the original owners will not appreciate the monetary and time investment they actually require. They already killed a few pets. It saddens me but no one else in the family wanted to take care of them.

Yes those plants are very real. :D

Take a peek around the internet, you can get some pretty inovative in bowl filters that would help with the bowl situation

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Take a peek around the internet, you can get some pretty inovative in bowl filters that would help with the bowl situation

Saekalive as i mentionned, those people do not understand the value and importance of those fishes lives. Changing their inhabitats to something better will only make the situation worse in the long run as the original owners who will be back soon will not take the time to worry about such details.

Ah, well they might take well to some sand or a fake plant to make their "Veiwing Pleasure" as you could say to them and it would help the bettas

Ah, well they might take well to some sand or a fake plant to make their "Veiwing Pleasure" as you could say to them and it would help the bettas

Ill see what i can do about that :)

On a happier note, what do you think of my tank for my future betta :D

Love the tank, see if you can find some small driftwood and some moss. I would love to see what kind of driftwood you can find over there in Kuwait

Love the tank, see if you can find some small driftwood and some moss. I would love to see what kind of driftwood you can find over there in Kuwait

for the moss im waiting for my next salary, or even the next, as i have a lot of important birthdays and this is the first year ill really be able to invest in a gift. As for the drift wood... to be sincerely honest i really hate how it looks and this aquarium is also part of my therapy for my depression. So putting something i hate in it kind of defeats the purpose :D i can take a picture of it if you want next time i go to the market to buy my fish (Im not loaded and this tank kinda made a dent in my finances along with other things)

Can't wait to welcome the fishy :D

Ah ok, some people prefer no driftwood, so it's your tank, tank do with what it what you wish

Congratulations on starting the new tank!

It looks like you are starting out right for you future new fish :)

I hope it brings you lots of pleasure.

Congratulations also on helping the poor bettas.

Congratulations on starting the new tank!

It looks like you are starting out right for you future new fish :)

I hope it brings you lots of pleasure.

Congratulations also on helping the poor bettas.

Hey Mudraker :)

Thank you very much. I am quite exited to be honest. The smallest things entertain me. I found a leaf standing upright at the bottom of the tank and that was enough to make me stare for a good 20min.

I'm a little worried for one of the bettas I'm keeping. He is changing colors and isn't as active as the two others.

Yep, that's why we all are in this hobby, lol.

I'm a little worried for one of the bettas I'm keeping. He is changing colors and isn't as active as the two others.

That's too bad. With the neglect from owners and the fact they would be upset if you tried to improve their habitat, there isn't much you can do. You might try adding a small amount of non-iodized salt to the water, like a tsp. per gallon.

Sorry to hear that you not able to put those bettas in bigger tanks :( Those plants look great, kind are they?

I have no idea :D
I named them lily looking thing, tree looking thing and algae looking thing :D

Update on the aquarium :D
I finally holds its little betta fish :D
His name is Koromb which means cabbage in arabic :D
You roll the R and it's the the same ko as in KOala and ROMB as in BOMB ... Ko-RRR-OMB

My fish.

Pictures soon (i want him to be at peace for now)

Back
Top Bottom