New DIY Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, my name is BJ and I just joined up the other week. I joined because I recently have gotten back into aquariums after years of not having any. I had them all through my teen years and kept community tanks with my dad. I took a break when I went to college and since then it has been relocations for jobs and kids etc (I'm 37). I got a free 10gallon setup this spring and decided to set it up and see if it I had the time for it.

Obviously I do and a few weeks ago I got a 55gal tall on Craigslist off someone relocating. The tank and stand were $100 and included a HOB filter, tons of supplies and such. My plans are to do a mostly DIY build over the next month or 2.

The tank will house a rocky Malawi setup and hopefully a few plants if I can manage to get the fish fed well and buy some hearty plants. I'm planning on converting the 10gal into a wet/dry sump and refugium. This will give me another 5-10gal of water and a spot to deal with difficult fish.

I'm starting a build thread in the DIY section (I hope this is the right spot for it) so you can follow progress and costs etc. I'll post a link over to it once I start the thread.

UPDATE: Here is the build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/benjamins-55g-malawi-cichlid-build-164397.html

Thanks to everyone here, I have already learned a ton.

Last edited:
Where are the moderators listed for the forums? On most forums there is a mod column but I'm either missing it or it's somewhere else.

Hey everyone, I ended up getting a mod to delete my build thread because I couldn't update the original post each day with prices and completed items. So the link above is dead. I'm going to start another thread with just ongoing progress and total costs as I buy things. Sorry!

Here is the new build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/benjamins-55g-malawi-cichlid-build-166240.html

Sorry I screwed that up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom