New Dude in Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thoughtcop22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. Living in Arizona and starting a new 150 gal reef. I was very successful with my previous 55 gal reef setup. Wish i could say the same about the 2 freshwaters i did. Train wrecks. I have been out of the hobby for 2 years due to job transfers but I'm back now! Obviously it's a big tank and I am going to a sump set up. First time with that also so I will undoubtedly be checking in here often. Starting the picture diary soon plan on posting ongoing updates. We will see how that goes (3 kids and a dog suck up a lot of time! Anyway, look forward to talking with everyone and maybe working some deals on equipment and what not!

Welcome to AA! What part of AZ you from ?! Can't wait to see the tank when it's all set up and running !

Metalheadx said:
Welcome to AA! What part of AZ you from ?! Can't wait to see the tank when it's all set up and running !

Thanks for the welcome! Living in Tucson.
Saltwater, Fiji pink and sump (almost) installed! Live rock on the way!

thoughtcop22 said:
Thanks for the welcome! Living in Tucson.
Saltwater, Fiji pink and sump (almost) installed! Live rock on the way!

Cool cool I'm down in Peoria , I'm sure you know that's Phoenix basically ...lol .... Heck ya I'm sure it's going to be a cool tank !!!

what's up friend? I have a 55 gallon and read that you had a successful 55 gallon in the past. Is there anything besided sand I can use on the bottom of the tank? I would just leave it bare but im afraid it wont look right. The sand is a pain in the asss to keep clean!
let me know what ya think!
Thanx,
Agentwashington

Hey how's it going? Nice to meet you. I am sure there is nothing inherently wrong with not using sand, however, it is a very important link in the biological chain. It aids in the filtration of the tank and as you mentioned the overall look of the tank would be strange. There are several types of substrate that you can use still giving the benefit of the average sand. My preference is for the Fiji pink, however there is crushed coral which I have never used but have heard that there are many potential problems with it. Sand comes in several textures and also comes in black. I have even heard of people switching to standard Home Depot play sand. I am sure you can find something pleasing to the eye and will complement the filtration of your bio load. As far as keeping it clean I am a firm believer in keeping my hands off of the substrate. There are pre packaged clean up crews that do a very good job of moving the substrate and cleaning up all of the detritus and fish waste. Sea stars do an excellent job of this as they move under the sand and through it. of course you may still have algae blooms, so ensure that your clean up crew is sized appropriatley for your set up and that they are compatible with your tank mates. Also your choice of lighting will dictate how it is viewed.
Hope that helps, just keep in mind i am by no means an expert just lucky!

Back
Top Bottom