New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey fish fanatics! I'm new to fish, well not really I have had them since I was a kid, but just heard the term "cycle" for the first time like 2 days ago. So let's just say im new to fish. So I found some danio fry in my tank I sucked like 10 of them up with a turkey baster. they are now in a plastic breeder box in my main tank. They have no air and just the heat from the main tank. I did give them a betta light though. Is this ok for them for now? I started some infuflora "I think that's how it's spelled" I put some spinach in 2 bottles half full of conditioned water and added an algea pellet. I started it like 5 days ago it's cloudy but not pink which I heard it needs to be. How much longer do I have to wait? Also I sucked some water from around my oxalis I heard thats another way to get infuflora. I also have fry food but They are so small I can't imagin them eating it. Any info would be greatly appreciated .

No they are in my other tank and this is embarrassing but I don't even know what cycling is :( I hear ppl talk about it but I do t know what it is.

Many people new to the hobby have never heard of cycling.... not to worry. Follow this link and read up on the nitrogen cycle, what it is and how it affects your fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

Plan on purchasing a good water testing kit. We recommend the API master kit. Costs about $23 and is good for hundreds of accurate tests. Do not purchase test strips. The kit will allow you to track your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. This helps you monitor your tank and helps you when you run into problems. Sometimes the test kit can provide information to guide you in the right direction.

When all else fails, ask questions. No question is dumb here. (y)

Wow ok I have never done this cycling process before but I changed the water in my guppy tank awhile ago and my beautiful algae eater not the big black kind but the one that looks like a fish committed suicide by jumping out of the tank. It all makes sense now! He didn't like the new water :( and I was and still am so sad about it but I never had problems like that before my guppys and danios never "seem" to mind when I change the water. I took water from my other tank to fill the breeder box though so that makes me feel better. Thanks so much for the Info I just joined the site today and it's also my first forum (big day!) and I love it already !!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom