New fish here :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not worried at all. As Caleb said, 95% of disease happens within a month or so of getting a new fish- usually something they succumbed to while under poor conditions during shipping and display. Once they become healthy and established in their new habitat, with proper care disease becomes almost nonexistent. In fact I can think of just 3 times in 11 years of fishkeeping that disease set in outside of the first month of having a fish. And 2 of those were Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus which is its own ridiculous thing (and not a threat to betta fish)

DG indovirus doesn't even count lol that's a genetic diseases that can't even spread outside gourami.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I will get myself an API test kit!

I appreciate all of the advice and I can't wait to get my tank up and running :)

New fish.

DG indovirus doesn't even count lol that's a genetic diseases that can't even spread outside gourami.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's not genetic, it's a virus! In any case there was still that one time a few of my fish got fungus out of nowhere, but those fish were several years old and near the end of their natural life I think.

As always, I appreciate the responses! Especially personal experiences :)

New fish.

It's not genetic, it's a virus! In any case there was still that one time a few of my fish got fungus out of nowhere, but those fish were several years old and near the end of their natural life I think.

Ugh, to clarify again lol DGI is specific to species of gourami. It is the result of excess inbreeding. So really it has become a part of the dwarf species genetics. Especially considering that about 8/10 DG will experience it in their lifetime.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom