New Fish Keeper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LozzyBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello :)
I am a new fish keeper so all advice is greatly welcome by anyone who knows what they're doing :fish2:

I've bought a 3ft by 1ft tank, which equates to 26.4UK gallons or 120L.
Nothing is in it yet.

My dad has made me a stand for it, however, there is nothing in the middle of the stand. I do not think this will be able to hold the weight of the tank, as surely you will need a flat surface? I plan on putting some wood there, and then polystyrene to keep it flat as this tank is all glass and no floating base. Would this be OK?

One of my main queries is about what sort of filter I should be using for this tank as it's quite large?
Just to clarify, I wanted to start with just coldwater fish but my dad said we could have tropical as he has had them before.
He suggested an UGF (undergravel filter) but after doing some research I don't think these are very good.

I was looking at the filters with the heaters built in, but they seem to be quite expensive.
I was also looking at the elite stingray 15, but two of these, as they have had good reviews on being quite also (they need to be reasonably quiet).

And then, once I get my filter sorted, I will need to find a heater!
Then I can add plants and whatnot and finally get the fishies in :fish2:

Many thanks in advance.
As I mentioned, I am new to fish keeping so any advice is helpful to me :)

x

Thanks for joining AA you'll get a lot ofhelp here. You may need to post new trhread in the appropriate sections for each question you asked.

That stand should work fine depending on what he made it out of. But its always better to be safe.

Some people still use ugf. But I don't like them I would rather use a fbf filter

Hi Lozzy, and welcome to AA. Good for you for doing the research first. Very important for success with your fish. I assume, since you want plants, you are doing a freshwater tank. First I have a link for a heater: Amazon.com: Fluval M 200-Watt Submersible Heater: Pet Supplies. This is a pretty good price on a decent heater, which I use myself.

Second. here's some great reading right here on AA, to help you get started on cycling your tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html.

Lots of luck, and have fun in your great new hobby.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys!
I will be sure to read everything :)

thankthankthanks!
:fish2:
x

Hello :)
I am a new fish keeper so all advice is greatly welcome by anyone who knows what they're doing :fish2:

I've bought a 3ft by 1ft tank, which equates to 26.4UK gallons or 120L.
Nothing is in it yet.

My dad has made me a stand for it, however, there is nothing in the middle of the stand. I do not think this will be able to hold the weight of the tank, as surely you will need a flat surface? I plan on putting some wood there, and then polystyrene to keep it flat as this tank is all glass and no floating base. Would this be OK?

One of my main queries is about what sort of filter I should be using for this tank as it's quite large?
Just to clarify, I wanted to start with just coldwater fish but my dad said we could have tropical as he has had them before.
He suggested an UGF (undergravel filter) but after doing some research I don't think these are very good.

I was looking at the filters with the heaters built in, but they seem to be quite expensive.
I was also looking at the elite stingray 15, but two of these, as they have had good reviews on being quite also (they need to be reasonably quiet).

And then, once I get my filter sorted, I will need to find a heater!
Then I can add plants and whatnot and finally get the fishies in :fish2:

Many thanks in advance.
As I mentioned, I am new to fish keeping so any advice is helpful to me :)

x

Welcome,

You might want to start with a HOB (Hang on Back) Filter. There are plenty to chose from. Amazon is a great source. I'm thinking your Tank is 40 US Gallons so at a min you might want to get one that is double the Rating depending on the Fish you plan to keep.

Marineland, AquaClear, Fluval are all good I'm sure there are others as well. Do your research and what is your budget. This Forum is a great place to search....
You can never have enough Filtration. Also a good water conditioner is Key. Seachem Prime is a favorite around here.

I second Amazon, I've seen good filters for half the price of what you can find in chain pet stores. 30 gallons or 120 liters is a good starting tank. You'll probably want to look for a 100 or 150 watt heater.

Got my filter, heater, and gravel. :)
Bought 10kg cause the lady in the shop said it would be enough, but looking at the bag at home I think I may need 20kg...
Ive decided to do a fishless cycle but now I'm just trying to find some pure ammonia for my tank... Which is proving to easier said than done.... :(

LozzyBear said:
Got my filter, heater, and gravel. :)
Bought 10kg cause the lady in the shop said it would be enough, but looking at the bag at home I think I may need 20kg...
Ive decided to do a fishless cycle but now I'm just trying to find some pure ammonia for my tank... Which is proving to easier said than done.... :(

Are you in the UK or Aus?

Sorry about late reply, Mumma.of.two. I'm in the UK. Been to Boots pharmacy but they do not sell it; Wilko's, no; and neither does Asda.. =(

LozzyBear said:
Sorry about late reply, Mumma.of.two. I'm in the UK. Been to Boots pharmacy but they do not sell it; Wilko's, no; and neither does Asda.. =(

You should be able to find it somewhere. Idk where though. I'm in Aus and it's next to impossible to find. You can use a raw prawn or two in a mesh bag as an ammonia source if you can find any. Or start with a prawn while you search for bottled ammonia.

Hello and welcome from a fellow uk'r maybe an idea to search online for the ammonia or you could post in the uk thread, may get some help there :)

I've found some on amazon, just going to contact the seller to find out how much ammonia is in it, to make sure it's not mixed with other chemicals.
Thankyou for all your help everyone :) x

Pure ammonia is pretty much impossible to buy over the counter in the UK.

Luckily I work in a school and have access to lab grade strength ammonia.

My advice if you wanted to use ammonia is speak with your local school's science department. Maybe they would give you some if you explained what it's for.

Other than that you could try

cpc.farnell.com

I buy IPA (isopropyl alcohol) from them for cleaning electrical items at work. They might sell it.

Jon

Pure ammonia is pretty much impossible to buy over the counter in the UK.

Luckily I work in a school and have access to lab grade strength ammonia.

My advice if you wanted to use ammonia is speak with your local school's science department. Maybe they would give you some if you explained what it's for.

Other than that you could try

cpc.farnell.com

I buy IPA (isopropyl alcohol) from them for cleaning electrical items at work. They might sell it.

Jon

Unfortunately, I haven't been to school in four years, and I don't think my college has any with their photographic chemicals...
But thanks for the advice :)

I washed off my gravel today and put it in the tank, so I am now just waiting on that ammonia so i can start my fishless cycle :):fish1:

x

Back
Top Bottom