New Fish Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshHeart101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

My name is Ash and I just acquired a love for fish from my best friend. About two weeks ago, I left the pet store with my first fish, a male betta which I've named Mars. Currently, I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon tank. Mars lives in the 5 gallon with his heater and plastic plants, and I'm trying to set up a 10 gallon for 3 German Blue Rams (and potentially other tank mates).

10 Gallon Set Up (with arriving items, not yet placed):
- anubias
- Philippine java fern
- java moss
- sand
- two pieces of driftwood
- Aquatop 100W heater
- Aqua-tech filter (came with the tank)

I'm hoping to make my 10 gallon tank a community tank, and I've come to this site for advice.
I'm really excited to have become a fish owner and love Mars (and my incoming German Blues) dearly. Thanks for reading!

Ash

Welcome to Aquarium Advice Ash! We hope you enjoy it.
Betta's are really wonderful fish, and you will quickly realize that. But the problem is you can't really keep a single German Blue Ram in a 10 gallon. The bare minimum they need would be 20 gallons. A 10 gallon just won't be enough for these fish. I would suggest looking in some shoaling fish, or schooling fish. Just don't forget to research fish before you get them to be 100% sure of the combination. Another great website would be: aqadvisor.com
Another option would be to put the betta in the 10 gallon and add some fish in there with him:)
Good Luck Ash:)

Unfortunately I no longer have the leisure of returning the German Blue Rams, and I have been informed by a few sources that I can have a single pair (the third German Blue Ram is most likely going to a friend) in a 10 gallon. Thank you for the tidbit, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom