Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also if I stop the ich med should/can I put the filter back in?

Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedikeens11 View Post
Thanks for the welcoming and all the help. Also what kind of salt am I looking for when I go to the store? Should I stop putting the ich meds in the tank also?
Hmm, there are a few different kinds, but it should say if it treats ick or not an I would keep up with the meds since u are seeing results

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should look for Aquarium salt, API makes a good one, don't use ocean/sea salt as it's completely different, and keep treating for ich since you've already started, it can only help kill the ich that's not attached to the fish yet.

When you say "put the filter back in" do you mean just the carbon, or the whole pad? If you mean the whole pad, then you probably lost your cycle from removing it and put it back immediately in hopes some BB survived, and if you meant the carbon, keep that out until you are done with the entire treatment. The only real use or carbon is to remove medications, so I never use it except for Adam after I finish medicating.

Oh, and with the aquarium salt, make sure that when you are doing water changes, only replace the amount of salt you removed, say you remove 5 gallons of water, only put 1 tsp back in, 10 gallons, 2tsp. Anything less than 5 gallons I wouldn't mess with adding more salt to. I don't know what your evaporation rate is like either, but make sure you are only adding water to top off (with conditioner of course) rather than more salt. What you put in the water doesn't evaporate with it.
I know that probably sounds like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people don't realize it! Lol
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also if you treat with heat and salt do it for long enough and be patient for the Ick to grow through its life stages.

You will need to add an air pump for additional aeration. Adding salt lovers the amount of usable oxygen, same with raising the temperature.

Check about the medication you are using, if it can be used with increased salt and temp, some I understand should not be used in higher temps and with additional salt.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Do not get rid of your fish because its easier. There are treatments that treat the whole tank. That advice from above is pointless to say the least. Ich has a very high survival rate. Slowly over 6 to 8 hours raise your heater to 86. Continue to use the ich treatment but you cant keep a carbon filter pad when using it
Why should you not keep a carbon filter pad when using ich treatment? Because the filter pad will just catch all the medicine?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The reason for removing the carbon is that the carbon will absorb all of the medicine. Ick is most of the time not deadly if treated so just keep doing what you're doing and your fish should be fine.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamandan View Post

Why should you not keep a carbon filter pad when using ich treatment? Because the filter pad will just catch all the medicine?
The carbon absorbs all the medicines for treating the tank. You technically dont even need carbon. You could cut the carbon out completely if you wanted too
Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thank u so much everyone for all the help. On purchasing some salt and a sand stone thing I noticed that my tank was infront of my ac's flow. So I purchased a few watt larger heater and the temp has been fixed. Also yes I removed the carbon but not the filter. Dosnt look like any more othe fish are scraping around on the screen anymore either.....hope that's a good sign. What am I looking at for recovery time?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedikeens11 View Post
Ok thank u so much everyone for all the help. On purchasing some salt and a sand stone thing I noticed that my tank was infront of my ac's flow. So I purchased a few watt larger heater and the temp has been fixed. Also yes I removed the carbon but not the filter. Dosnt look like any more othe fish are scraping around on the screen anymore either.....hope that's a good sign. What am I looking at for recovery time?
Do the treatment for a week at least. Im glad you took our advice! Recovery time is just an estimate but if you followed our steps precisely then no more than a week but do the treatment for at least a week!

Tags
fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com