Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unhappy new fish owner

Hi everyone, I came across this forum site after doing weeks of research on owning fish. Learned a lot from the questions asked and answered.

I currently have a 20 gallon freshwater setup. 3 albino cory catfish, one red mickey, 1 sunburst wag platy, 1 black platy, and two guppies.

I did the whole monthly cycle before adding any fish(month and a half actually), did all the water testing, read up on the nitrogen cycle, how to add fish with no stress, no over feeding, what fish work best with whom, all the basics. I came home two days ago and noticed my all black platy had white pimple things on her. Tested the water did my 25% water change and did some more research. Purchased Kordons all natural ich attack as the store had nothing else and I did not want my poor fish to suffer. Followed the direction on the bottle and started the medication process. Looks like the spots are clearing up but my other fish are now scraping their poor bodies on the side of the tank. It is only the second day of the treatment so I'm sure it may take awhile, I'm just concerned and hate to see the fish suffer.

So all in all I was just wondering if there are any suggestions to make the process go faster and or easier for my poor little guys. Or if there is something I should be doing but am not or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah , it would e cheaper , quicker, and easier to her rid or them all and do a deep clean and just start new with new fish.
Sorry to hear that
I am sorry I didn't welcome you to the hobbie

Freshwater_King

Old 08-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What s your tank temp? You should increase it to like 85 & add salt but can t remember the exact amount.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure there s no salt in the medicine you re using tho. Do not agree with the above advice. A lot of people here have successfully treated ich.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not get rid of your fish because its easier. There are treatments that treat the whole tank. That advice from above is pointless to say the least. Ich has a very high survival rate. Slowly over 6 to 8 hours raise your heater to 86. Continue to use the ich treatment but you cant keep a carbon filter pad when using it
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought about starting over but I can't just kill these guys....I've increased my temp every two hours since last night...its up at around 80 now....I'll have to research the salt part as I've noticed a lot of people have recommended doing it that way.

Lol thanks for the welcome freshwater king!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh btw welcome to AA
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No need to replace or get rid of your fish. Just crank the heat up to low to mid 80's. I completely disagree with the first commenters advice. Ick is not a problem an just keep the treatment up. I'm happy to see more beginners doing there research

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
No need to replace or get rid of your fish. Just crank the heat up to low to mid 80's. I completely disagree with the first commenters advice. Ick is not a problem an just keep the treatment up. I'm happy to see more beginners doing there research
+1!
Put temp to 85-86 and add salt at 1tsp/5 gallons.
If you didn't have the cories in there I'd say 1tsp/gallon, but they are salt sensitive.

Ich is practically untreatable by medication, it can kill the form that hasn't attached to the fish with medication, but what is already on the fish will still survive.
Heightening the temp allows for the life cycle of ich to speed up and therefore your fish will get better faster.
Make sure to keep the temp up for atleast 1 week after the last signs of it (the white specks) are gone from all your fish. If you don't do this then there is a high chance of it reappearing.

Good luck and welcome to AA!!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcoming and all the help. Also what kind of salt am I looking for when I go to the store? Should I stop putting the ich meds in the tank also?

Tags
fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com