New forum groupie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardmanhouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

My name is Erin and my husband Rick and I found this site through Ask Jeeves and were pretty excited to see something like this out there.

We converted to a sw aquarium, 125 gallons, about a year ago and really love it. We went with all live rock and boy was that expensive!

We have a sump pump system, protein skimmer and wave maker. We purchased a new hood and retro fit kit with the proper reef lights (sorry, don't know the specs, two lights are blue and two are white). We also have the moon lights which we turn on in the evening.

We don't have a large number of fish. We have a tomato clown, yellow tang, blue tang, 5 damsels, a scarlet shrimp and two peppermint shrimp. Of course we have several snails and crabs, basically, the clean up crew. We have one anemone and three feather dusters.

We have several soft corals, including a new brain coral that I just love. Our soft corals and pollups do well but our hard corals just seem to close up within weeks of purchase. We also do not have much luck with anemones.

Rick tests the water frequently and all levels seem good. We also take samples to the fish store every month since we are still fairly new to the testing process. We had the water tested again at the fish store two weeks ago and were told the levels are all good.

We would really like to have more of the hard corals and anemones but don't want to keep losing them.

Glad to be here.

Erin

Welcome aboard Erin. I have a 125 gallon reef tank. I love the size of that tank. You can see my tank in my images. Again welcome aboard

Wow, your corals are huge! Your tank is beautiful. We aren't having much luck with the hard corals and anemones. Whats the secret?

I personally think an established (mature) tank is the key. Alot of those fish and corals are over ten yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom