Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
come get me tang police!

water sprite works really well

Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Added some honey sunrise gouramis and bumble bee gobys today , along with two java ferns and a bundle of anacharis ! My new fish are adorable and doing excellent !

Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

bumble bee gobys are brackish water.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

They were in a fresh water tank at the fish store with gouramis a seem to be very happy
Old 06-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagsimpson
They were in a fresh water tank at the fish store with gouramis a seem to be very happy
They will survive for a time in fresh water. But to get the most out of their wet little lives they need salt. Not aquarium salt either. Marine salt.

Most lfs will throw all their brackish fish in fresh water because #1 it won't kill them right away. #2 they don't have to bother with creating and maintaining brackish tanks.

And frankly, I'm jealous. I've been looking for bbg's forever and nobody has them.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
come get me tang police!

not all bumblebee gobies are brackish, or at least certain strains have an indifference to full freshwater conditions.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
not all bumblebee gobies are brackish, or at least certain strains have an indifference to full freshwater conditions.
All bumblebee gobies? You mean "ALL" 2 versions? lol.

Technically the true BBG (Brachygobius xanthozona) can tolerate FW, but is best suited for BW. The other, better known as the Golden Banded Goby (Brachygobius nunus), should not be in FW.

IMO, any store that keeps BW fish in FW tanks (Walmart being the worst) should be reported for animal cruelty, or the very least never patronized by any aquarist that knows better.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

All bumblebee gobies? You mean "ALL" 2 versions? lol.

Technically the true BBG (Brachygobius xanthozona) can tolerate FW, but is best suited for BW. The other, better known as the Golden Banded Goby (Brachygobius nunus), should not be in FW.

IMO, any store that keeps BW fish in FW tanks (Walmart being the worst) should be reported for animal cruelty, or the very least never patronized by any aquarist that knows better.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane
Thanks for that link. I'm planning on getting a couple or three when I find them. That just gave me a clearer picture of what it will involve to feed the little boogers.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought them from a very respectable fish store which has been open for 30 years . I'm sure we'd all love to live on a tropical island but we can live perfectly happy lives where we are . My bumble bees are settled right it and swim all over without any problems . The link also says they are hard to feed , this is definitely not the case with mine they eat well at every feeding without problems . I don't believe that fish need as strict environments as people argue they need . We are all animals and we evolve to fit our habitats . My fish look great , and I know they are all comfortable.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagsimpson View Post
Good news here ! I bought 3 more gouramis and still they all stayed hidden . 2 days ago I raised my temp from 78 to 80 and now they all stay out ! I'm amazed that only 2 degrees would affect them so much but this is the only change in my tank . Unless it's coincidence and they just finally acclimated to my tank !
Welcome to AA! Wish I had known this when I had mine because mine stayed hidden all the time so I took them back because I like my fish to be very active

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com