Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lightbulb New Found Fish Love !

Hello fellow fish keepers

Im new to the fish world , other than my child hood gold fish . My mothers day present was a 36 gallon domed tank. I set it up with natural (earth toned gravel) 2 fake logs and a tiki man as fish hideaways and fake as well as live plants. My tank is the home to a 3 inch pleco , male and female dwarf Gourami , crowntail betta , and 1 mystery snail . I loved the Gouramis and was intrested in getting more but they always stay hidden ! unless its feeding time . Any fish suggestions?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well- while I don't have suggestions regarding additional fish- f your pleco is a standard pleco- it is going to eventually outgrow that tank!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to AA.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good news here ! I bought 3 more gouramis and still they all stayed hidden . 2 days ago I raised my temp from 78 to 80 and now they all stay out ! I'm amazed that only 2 degrees would affect them so much but this is the only change in my tank . Unless it's coincidence and they just finally acclimated to my tank !
Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

Welcome to the forum. Your current stocking is kinda difficult because there are some incompatible species together. Gouramis/bettas can be hard to keep with one another because of aggression, so definitely keep an eye out for it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually the dwarf gouramis and betta ate very peaceful together . Male bettas are typically only agressive with other male bettas .
Old 05-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagsimpson View Post
Actually the dwarf gouramis and betta ate very peaceful together . Male bettas are typically only agressive with other male bettas .
You must have a very peaceful betta. I'm lucky that I have one too. Generally though male bettas will attack other fish in addition to other bettas, particularly brightly colored or flowing finned types. But there are always exceptions.

I'm currently considering putting a red wag platy with my betta. The platy was part of a school that all died but him. He is in a 60 gal tank at the moment. But my betta is in a 23 gal with BN's and nerites, so other than the betta it looks kinda boring. I'm thinking a mid/top level fish like a platy might make the tank more interesting. If my betta goes after the platy, then I guess I'll just put him back in the 60 gal.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagsimpson View Post

It works for some, it's just not recommended. Male bettas are often aggressive to other anabantids and other fish with flowing fins also, that's just why I was putting out a word of caution. Gouramis tend to have aggression issues with one another as well.

That being said, I've got 2 honey gouramis together and they get along just fine.

It may work out for you just keep an eye on it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice guys ! I appreciate all the input , I'm glad he is so peaceful as well as the female betta , she's exceptionally beautiful and the two look great in my tank . I think it helps that i have lots of foliage and hiding places ! I'm thinking of getting a plant for the top of
My tank . Suggestions ?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com