New Found Fish Love !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennaSimpson

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fellow fish keepers :fish2:

Im new to the fish world , other than my child hood gold fish . My mothers day present was a 36 gallon domed tank. I set it up with natural (earth toned gravel) 2 fake logs and a tiki man as fish hideaways and fake as well as live plants. My tank is the home to a 3 inch pleco , male and female dwarf Gourami , crowntail betta , and 1 mystery snail . I loved the Gouramis and was intrested in getting more but they always stay hidden ! unless its feeding time :facepalm:. Any fish suggestions?

Well- while I don't have suggestions regarding additional fish- f your pleco is a standard pleco- it is going to eventually outgrow that tank!

Good news here ! I bought 3 more gouramis and still they all stayed hidden . 2 days ago I raised my temp from 78 to 80 and now they all stay out ! I'm amazed that only 2 degrees would affect them so much but this is the only change in my tank . Unless it's coincidence and they just finally acclimated to my tank !

Welcome to the forum. Your current stocking is kinda difficult because there are some incompatible species together. Gouramis/bettas can be hard to keep with one another because of aggression, so definitely keep an eye out for it.

Actually the dwarf gouramis and betta ate very peaceful together . Male bettas are typically only agressive with other male bettas .

Actually the dwarf gouramis and betta ate very peaceful together . Male bettas are typically only agressive with other male bettas .

You must have a very peaceful betta. I'm lucky that I have one too. Generally though male bettas will attack other fish in addition to other bettas, particularly brightly colored or flowing finned types. But there are always exceptions.

I'm currently considering putting a red wag platy with my betta. The platy was part of a school that all died but him. He is in a 60 gal tank at the moment. But my betta is in a 23 gal with BN's and nerites, so other than the betta it looks kinda boring. I'm thinking a mid/top level fish like a platy might make the tank more interesting. If my betta goes after the platy, then I guess I'll just put him back in the 60 gal.

It works for some, it's just not recommended. Male bettas are often aggressive to other anabantids and other fish with flowing fins also, that's just why I was putting out a word of caution. Gouramis tend to have aggression issues with one another as well.

That being said, I've got 2 honey gouramis together and they get along just fine.

It may work out for you just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the advice guys ! I appreciate all the input , I'm glad he is so peaceful as well as the female betta , she's exceptionally beautiful and the two look great in my tank . I think it helps that i have lots of foliage and hiding places ! I'm thinking of getting a plant for the top of
My tank . Suggestions ?

Added some honey sunrise gouramis and bumble bee gobys today , along with two java ferns and a bundle of anacharis ! My new fish are adorable and doing excellent !

jennagsimpson said:
They were in a fresh water tank at the fish store with gouramis a seem to be very happy

They will survive for a time in fresh water. But to get the most out of their wet little lives they need salt. Not aquarium salt either. Marine salt.

Most lfs will throw all their brackish fish in fresh water because #1 it won't kill them right away. #2 they don't have to bother with creating and maintaining brackish tanks.

And frankly, I'm jealous. I've been looking for bbg's forever and nobody has them.

not all bumblebee gobies are brackish, or at least certain strains have an indifference to full freshwater conditions.

All bumblebee gobies? You mean "ALL" 2 versions? lol.

Technically the true BBG (Brachygobius xanthozona) can tolerate FW, but is best suited for BW. The other, better known as the Golden Banded Goby (Brachygobius nunus), should not be in FW.

IMO, any store that keeps BW fish in FW tanks (Walmart being the worst) should be reported for animal cruelty, or the very least never patronized by any aquarist that knows better.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane

Mr. Limpet said:
All bumblebee gobies? You mean "ALL" 2 versions? lol.

Technically the true BBG (Brachygobius xanthozona) can tolerate FW, but is best suited for BW. The other, better known as the Golden Banded Goby (Brachygobius nunus), should not be in FW.

IMO, any store that keeps BW fish in FW tanks (Walmart being the worst) should be reported for animal cruelty, or the very least never patronized by any aquarist that knows better.

10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane

Thanks for that link. I'm planning on getting a couple or three when I find them. That just gave me a clearer picture of what it will involve to feed the little boogers.

I bought them from a very respectable fish store which has been open for 30 years . I'm sure we'd all love to live on a tropical island but we can live perfectly happy lives where we are . My bumble bees are settled right it and swim all over without any problems . The link also says they are hard to feed , this is definitely not the case with mine they eat well at every feeding without problems . I don't believe that fish need as strict environments as people argue they need . We are all animals and we evolve to fit our habitats . My fish look great , and I know they are all comfortable.

Good news here ! I bought 3 more gouramis and still they all stayed hidden . 2 days ago I raised my temp from 78 to 80 and now they all stay out ! I'm amazed that only 2 degrees would affect them so much but this is the only change in my tank . Unless it's coincidence and they just finally acclimated to my tank !
Welcome to AA! Wish I had known this when I had mine because mine stayed hidden all the time so I took them back because I like my fish to be very active

Back
Top Bottom