New Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glotin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.

I'm interested in purchasing some Zebrafish for my 15 gallon freshwater tank.

I know you're only supposed to introduce one or two fish at a time, but reading about zebrafish it says they like to stay in groups of 3 or more.

Should I only introduce two at a time, or since they are so small would it be alright to introduce three at a time?

How long after I introduce this bunch should I wait to introduce more?

I am using a "safestart" bottle and the tank has been running for 3 days, with a few pieces of gravel from and established tank in there.

Glotin said:
Hello all.

I'm interested in purchasing some Zebrafish for my 15 gallon freshwater tank.

I know you're only supposed to introduce one or two fish at a time, but reading about zebrafish it says they like to stay in groups of 3 or more.

Should I only introduce two at a time, or since they are so small would it be alright to introduce three at a time?

How long after I introduce this bunch should I wait to introduce more?

I am using a "safestart" bottle and the tank has been running for 3 days, with a few pieces of gravel from and established tank in there.

Hi!
Usually zebra danios need a 20g long tank for the proper amount of swimming space but if you have a 15g long that would be ok. What is your tank? They actually prefer to be kept in groups of 6 or more. Letting the tank sit for 3 days with safe start will not cycle the tank. You need an ammonia source to start and continue the cycling process. Introducing some fish to your tank will start a fish in cycle, which is ok :), but can be a lot of work. Here is some info on fish in and fishless cycling.
FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

BEGINNERS GUIDE
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Thanks for the reply... looks like you do a great job helping people out around here!

My tank is a 15G long tank with gravel. I have 2 fish in there right now and am doing a fish in cylce.

I plan to stock it with 6 darios, algae eater, snail and maybe a DAF or two (need to do more research on that... tank might not be big enough).

From what I've read, the 2 fish I have are enough for the fish in cycle and I shouldn't add any more until the cycle is complete. Once it is complete.. can I only add 2 darios at a time? If so, how long should I wait before adding the other two?

Also, I am planning on adding some Java Ferns.

Glotin said:
Thanks for the reply... looks like you do a great job helping people out around here!

My tank is a 15G long tank with gravel. I have 2 fish in there right now and am doing a fish in cylce.

I plan to stock it with 6 darios, algae eater, snail and maybe a DAF or two (need to do more research on that... tank might not be big enough).

From what I've read, the 2 fish I have are enough for the fish in cycle and I shouldn't add any more until the cycle is complete. Once it is complete.. can I only add 2 darios at a time? If so, how long should I wait before adding the other two?

Also, I am planning on adding some Java Ferns.

2 fish is perfect for a fish in cycle. Once it is complete I'd add 2 at a time since adding two will double the bioload so adding 4 IMO will be too much. Your cycle will be complete when you have 0 ammonia and nitrite and rising nitrate. Adding 2 fish every week after this will be fine Imo. What sort I'd algae eater are you thinking? Not many are suitable for a 15g. Your looking at ottos, snails, shrimp and there maybe a small pleco (like pitbulls) that could work (I'm not 100% on the pitbulls we don't have them here I don't think).

Plants will depend on your lighting. Java ferns are pretty indestructible. They will grow in most conditions.

Just so we are clear are we talking about dario darios or danios?

Ah, sorry, Danio Zebrafish. I knew a pleco would be too big for the tank so was going to go with an otto/snail.

Thanks for the help!

The LFS that I use was closed today so I had to go to Petco for supplies.

I did a >50% water change and added some small java ferns (from petco). The water had gotten a bit cloudy over night.

They didn't have the API master test kit (going to have to go to LFS tomorrow), so I bought Tetra test strips.

They have no ammonia reading on them?

Readings shortly after water change (probably pointless to take sample then but...):

Nitrate: ~0
Nitrite: ~.5 ppm
Water hardness: soft
Total Chlorine: ~0
Alkalinity: Low ~35
pH: Neutral

The Kordel water conditioning pack I bought also has an "ammoni/heavy metal, etc. remover". Should I use that just in case? Or am I to assume that because there are no nitrates/nitrites there is no ammonia?

Also, the filter that came with the setup (15G tank) is a Tetra PF10.. how crucial is it that I move up? Only 2 fish in there right now.

Glotin said:
The LFS that I use was closed today so I had to go to Petco for supplies.

I did a >50% water change and added some small java ferns (from petco). The water had gotten a bit cloudy over night.

They didn't have the API master test kit (going to have to go to LFS tomorrow), so I bought Tetra test strips.

They have no ammonia reading on them?

Readings shortly after water change (probably pointless to take sample then but...):

Nitrate: ~0
Nitrite: ~.5 ppm
Water hardness: soft
Total Chlorine: ~0
Alkalinity: Low ~35
pH: Neutral

The Kordel water conditioning pack I bought also has an "ammoni/heavy metal, etc. remover". Should I use that just in case? Or am I to assume that because there are no nitrates/nitrites there is no ammonia?

Id say there is ammonia. .5ppm of nitrite is getting high. You want to keep it low also. Don't use ammonia absorbing products. They will absorb the ammonia starving the bacteria you are trying to grow.

Id say there is ammonia. .5ppm of nitrite is getting high. You want to keep it low also. Don't use ammonia absorbing products. They will absorb the ammonia starving the bacteria you are trying to grow.

So continue to change the water regularly... is there anything else I can do that wont hinder the cycle?

Glotin said:
So continue to change the water regularly... is there anything else I can do that wont hinder the cycle?

Just change the water when you see ammonia or nitrite. Make sure to dechlorinate. :) keep an eye on pH too. That's all there is too it. Adding anything else such as bottled bacteria, zymes, etc are not needed. You can add plants. They will help the cycle because they consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom