New from California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lrodrigu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a writer/author that has yet to give up her day job as secretary for the County of San Bernardino.

I am having trouble updating my profile through this app. I have been an ichthyologist for single and enormous goldfish for eight years. I believe he is a Comet. We recently got him a 15-gallon tank and he loves it.

He acts more like a koi in that he isn't very friendly except towards me. We got him as a fry for young son, but for some reason he cottoned more to me and I am his main caregiver. The one thing I have had to cope with is hid bad temper when he thinks we aren't doing things right, such as feeding him at the same hour each day. He just doesn't understand the concept of the weekend, and that I like to sleep in a bit.

His tank, as I have said, is 15 gallons and is stark, save for the gravel and the aerator. I occasionally find it floating upward, because the fish doesn't want to share his tank with anything.

That's about it. LCR

Welcome!!!

The comet goldfish get to a pretty big size, over a foot. So they aren't suited for a 15 gallon aquarium. Also are you running a filter on the tank? I would recommend rehoming him if there isn't a bigger tank in the near future. Also if you can answer these basic questions theyll help keep your fish healthy, I'm sure our familiar with these since you've keeping fish for 8 years :)

Are you getting a bigger tank soon?
Do you have a filter?
Is the tank cycled?
Do you use dechlorinator?

The 15 gallon is new. Don't know if and when a 20 will happen. Always have a filter in the tank. I like the bigger air wands. The little ones were always going out on us.

We do a partial water change every week. I use Epsom salts and aquarium salt, nitra-ban, water clarifier.

The fish has gone through two bouts of dropsy and survived. There were unavoidable circumstances for each. I treated him with Maracyn-Two X2 weeks in each instance. I also was directed to use Epsom salts rather than a straight salt treatment.

My real concern is his behavior when things don't go his way. He sulks days at a time. This time it is over a new grandbaby. He's a very jealous fish. Quite often his behavior is quite dog-like. Is he one of a kind, or does anyone else have a jealous fish?

Back
Top Bottom