New from FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. Im just starting a 40 gallon tank. Received the tank, stand, custom lights, air pump and more from a customer earlier today actually. I deliver appliances for Lowes and got the tank as a tip. Hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Welcome to the forum!!! Great bunch of people here and if you ever need anything there are plenty of people who will jump at the chance to help. :)

I am also in Florida, in between Orlando and Daytona. What area are you in?

hi XD its funny cause I also have a 40g tank. rule 1 have your tank set up. décor, lights, water, and filtration. let that all run for a month before putting in fish or until your nitrate and nitrite levels are low to nothing. those 2 things are like carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide for us. same principle for our fish. not that u cant put fish in before hand u would have to do 50% water changes 2 times a week or more and keep a close eye on the levels. safe to do without the fish though. also go to your local fish store or stores see which one has good pricing for fish/ décor and that that good price comes with well maintained fish. also decided if you want real plants or not, what species of fish you want, and keep in mind there is 3 layers to a tank. you have a top layer in the water where guppies and mosquito fish like to chill out at. you have a middle where angle fish, tiger barbs, and tetras like to chill out at. then you have a bottom where dojo loaches, Cory catfish, and shrimp like to chill out at. you also want to make a decision on whether it will be a tropical (warmer temp) aquarium or a cooler one. I have a cooler one that is 76f-78f this is so all my fish are happy. last but not least while you are waiting for your tank to cycle you can do plenty of reasearh on what fish you want. bear in mind there are certain things some fish need. like Corys and dojos need their own kind max group of 4 dojos and min group of 3-6+ Corys. others need space. some are aggressive and shouldn't be kept with slower fish. so I would ask around here post a thread asking advice on what fish to get you will get tons of replies but then you can make the final say based on what your store/stores carry. all in all we are glade to have you and cant wait to see the pics XD. having a fish tank at first is a challenge but once you are able to have your fish you will find yourself looking at their antics all day and know it was worth it XD. have fun we are glad to be part of your journey. P.S. when you do get fish depending on how far away the store is from your house let the fish bag float in the tanks water for 10-15min max so the water temp in the bag matches yours. this prevents shock for the fishes.

I dont get online often enough!

A few days after I posted this I went to my local Petco and asked for some help. I got a Marineland Penguin 200 filter, and was told I needed to wait only a day or 2 before I could put fish in.

So I waited a the 2 days, went back and now have a whole bunch of fish in my tank! I asked what could go with what, and how many they recommended I get. I was told at least 5 each of the schooling fish and if I got the mollies/tetras I was looking at, I couldnt get any semi-aggressive fish like a rainbow shark. They have an albino one that I really wanted.

I now have 5 neon tetras, 6 blackfin tetras, 5 leopard danios, 5 dalmation mollies, 1 hatchetfish, 5 black mollies, and 2 algea eaters.

I have 2 air stones on either side of a small Colosseum figure, and just 1 fake plant so far. I want to do live plants but dont know what it takes to care for them.

Was I led astray? The water in my tank is clear, and the fish are active and love to swim in the waterflow caused by the filter.

You are going to have Serious problems with a capital S. You now need to change 50% of the water daily without exception or twice a day would be better. Or all your fish are going to die. With once a day 50% youll may still lose half of them regardless.

Doesnt matter if your water looks clear or not as its whats in the water that counts and your going to have shed loads of ammonia before you know it. Small water changes to reduce shock go out the window when dealing with ammonia.. good luck!

Oh and yes, you were lead a stray, youre not the first and definitely wont be the last. I would actually ring them up and scream at them. I could understand them selling you 5fish but a whole tanks worth in an uncycled tank is suicide.

Them swimming up the flow could mean anything, from what im reading probably trying to swim up the current to cleaner water, sorry.

Dont get online much? Get the aquarium advice app. Its great and i spend more time on my phone than on my computer.

Not that it will mean much but i took my water to both petco and petsmart to get tested and they both said it looked great ... I hope they'll be alright. I'll start water changes tomorrow

this is why I said a month 5 days min and then add 5 fish max for a while until its cycled with the ammonium. you should've really asked first. I only trust 1 person for correct info on fish and that is my local small business fish store owner. not petco not petsmart or walmart they just want your money and only act like they care. now you really have a lot of work. I hope you are up for the challenge best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom