Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New from Mass

Hello all, I've been reading trying to get as much information as I could to get my new (eventual) reef tank started (just added live rock to let cycle for the next few weeks).

Had a great fresh water system but while on a week vacation I had a massive power surge and lost the sub-main electrical panel suppling power to my tank... Everything was destroyed plants, animals, and ecosystem...total loss.

Took me a few weeks to get moving again but decided to re-enter the $hobby$ with a reef system. Looks to be quite a challange and I look forward to learning the tricks and reading the great posts. I'm sure I'll be asking questions as I get lost.

My novice advice...have someone check your system while your away as you can plan plan plan, but when lightning strikes...all thats left is brown water.

I'll post some pictures as I advance. Any newbie advice is always appreciated.

BILL-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie... but no advice.

Sorry to hear about your power surge / total loss of the freshwater set-up... I'll take your advice into account when we go on vacation this summer. I always board the dog, and have left the fish to fend for themselves (never gone for more than 3 days though)... someone will definately be checking in on them this year.

Good luck with your reef tank...

Kerbchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA. Just post your questions in the forums and we will try to help.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA!
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Welcome and sorry to hear about your loss.

I was thinking about what to do with my tank once we go on a honeymoon. I can get the slow release food but as far as just general oversight, a thought had occurred to me.

What if, one of the days that someone was there to check (I wouldnt ask them to come every day but maybe two or three days out of a week), they found an aquarium in disarray? I don't know any other "serious" aquarists and wouldn't trust anybody to fix anything even if there was a major problem. Sure, they could plug things back in or attempt to get the power back on if teh problem was as simple as that. If all that would be necessary is a circuit breaker being flipped then that is an easy fix, but for anything complicated, IMO having someone to come and check it wouldn't really matter unless it was someone who you trusted that could fix the problem.

The only thing worse than coming home from a long vacation to a tank full of dead fish, would be knowing I had a tank full of dead fish while I still had a few days of vacation left.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm back into the hobby with a new vigor!

pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com