New from Mass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BILL-O

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I've been reading trying to get as much information as I could to get my new (eventual) reef tank started (just added live rock to let cycle for the next few weeks).

Had a great fresh water system but while on a week vacation I had a massive power surge and lost the sub-main electrical panel suppling power to my tank...:( Everything was destroyed plants, animals, and ecosystem...total loss.

Took me a few weeks to get moving again but decided to re-enter the $hobby$ with a reef system. Looks to be quite a challange and I look forward to learning the tricks and reading the great posts. I'm sure I'll be asking questions as I get lost.

My novice advice...have someone check your system while your away as you can plan plan plan, but when lightning strikes:uzi:...all thats left is brown water.

I'll post some pictures as I advance. Any newbie advice is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Newbie... but no advice.

Sorry to hear about your power surge / total loss of the freshwater set-up... I'll take your advice into account when we go on vacation this summer. I always board the dog, and have left the fish to fend for themselves (never gone for more than 3 days though)... someone will definately be checking in on them this year.

Good luck with your reef tank...

Kerby

Welcome to AA. Just post your questions in the forums and we will try to help.

Welcome and sorry to hear about your loss.

I was thinking about what to do with my tank once we go on a honeymoon. I can get the slow release food but as far as just general oversight, a thought had occurred to me.

What if, one of the days that someone was there to check (I wouldnt ask them to come every day but maybe two or three days out of a week), they found an aquarium in disarray? I don't know any other "serious" aquarists and wouldn't trust anybody to fix anything even if there was a major problem. Sure, they could plug things back in or attempt to get the power back on if teh problem was as simple as that. If all that would be necessary is a circuit breaker being flipped then that is an easy fix, but for anything complicated, IMO having someone to come and check it wouldn't really matter unless it was someone who you trusted that could fix the problem.

The only thing worse than coming home from a long vacation to a tank full of dead fish, would be knowing I had a tank full of dead fish while I still had a few days of vacation left.

Back
Top Bottom