New from NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianBSHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!
I go to college up in NH, and my school did a student activity where they gave out little feeder fish. Well, I felt any pet the school wanted to give me, I'll gladly take, it's a little lonely with no roommate.
So my friend's fish died, and fast forward a trip to PetSmart, I bought a tetra 1.5gallon tank, and another fish.
Currently the tank only has the 3i whisper filter that came with the tank, and the light is completely useless, it scares the fish when I turn it on, so I leave it off. These feeder fish are cool, for like 30 seconds, and I really want to do something I can look at and be proud of.

I would really like a planted tank that has a shrimp or two, or a snail, and maybe 1 fish, if it isn't asking too much. I don't mind requiring a heater, I can go pick one up, and hopefully the filter I have would be sufficient. I don't have a preference between saltwater or fresh, though, next semester (when I move into a suite), I plan on bringing up an old 20 gallon my brother is giving me. I have plans for that, but am really hoping this little 1.5 gallon can teach me a lot.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this, so please be patient. I've read a bunch of threads already and might like some RCS and a badis badis. I've heard the badis badis would eat the little shrimplets, so I would add him after the shrimp have established a home and the plants have gotten time to thicken up a bit. I honestly have no idea what would go well together, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. All questions are welcome and appreciated.

Here is a picture of my current tank :)
scaled.php

(shows 3 little comets [what it said on the receipt] but one died. I only have the 2 orange ones now)

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Thank you, I actually just got two plants for my tank, I got an Anubia and a Java fern from the lfs.
scaled.php

Is there anything I'm supposed to do special with these? I think leaving the light on will be fine and when the plants finally take root, I can do some other things with the tank.
scaled.php

Got both fish saying "cheese" too. The water is still cloudy from when I had my hands in there moving things around, but I like the set up so far. Just hope they both survive. Would java moss be better if I wanted to eventually move in some RCS?

Back
Top Bottom