New from the Northeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sugarbear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy all.

New member here from the state of Maine. I'm a budding writer, and a artist, though I've really not had time to draw for a while. Haven't posted on a forum in years. I was a mod on one a long time ago and I kind of burned out on them, so please forgive me if I'm not a chatter box.

Came upon this site doing some google searches. I've got a well established 10 gallon beta tank and have just gotten a new 29 gallon tank, was looking around for ideas on stocking it and here we are.

I've always wanted a larger tank then my 10 gallon. As I'm sure all of you know, the bigger the aquarium the faster the price tag attached too it skyrockets, just yesterday however I acquired the before mentioned 29 gallon tank from a elderly couple who were moving and just trying to get rid of all the stuff they had in their garage. Got the tank, and its stand, and probably about 40 lbs of books, for forty dollars. So needless to say that was a big blessing. I took it out and filled it with water to make sure the seals were good, and everything checked out. I'll be setting it up once i rearrange some furniture.

So it'll take me a while to cycle the tank, and while I'm doing that I'll be collecting some things to decorate it with. I prefer to use natural things I'm personally not a big fan of having beautiful little fish swimming around sponge bob squarepants or the like. In my small tank I've used unusual stones I've found on hikes. I made a cave in it from stones found at my families home, that sort of thing.

The larger tank is just a blank canvas I haven't really decided what It's going to be, probably not salt, but I'm not discounting it either. I'm not afraid of doing some work. I've waited a while for this opportunity I'm not looking to rush and screw it up.

My smaller tank is made to look like a river bed, I'm sorry I haven't got a camera or I'd post some pictures. Its populated with a small sorority of 5 female beta's. My girls, as I call them when its time to feed, get along famously better then I'd hoped for when I first read about housing them together. I've even had them build little bubble nests from time to time. Named them all after Greek goddesses. Its a well established tank been going around 3 years. I think they may be nearing the end of their life span, but they seem quite healthy and active still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom