New guppy here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I am new to the forum and hope to learn from y'all. I have a 55 gallon community tank. I found this forum while trying to learn some more about my pair of Dalmation Mollies. Fairly certain we were fortunate enough to see the pair perform a very theatrical mating session and we were trying to find out the gestation time as well as how we might begin to prepare a large tank for nursery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hello! welcome to AA, we hope u find it as awesome and informative as we do :)

suggestions would be to breeder net the molly just before birth, remove the mum when she's done and after about 3 weeks (to get their strength up and teach them what food is) move them to a nursery, like a 10g with a sponge filter and bare bottom for best food access.
theres my input, enjoy AA! x

Thanks, I will mark my calendar for about a month from now and put in a breeder tank!

thats the norm time, but if the belly starts to look pretty square u may want to put one in sooner! that how they look just before birth x

Welcome! I am going to add in here that it can be difficult to tell the exact time with livebearers. They are capable of storing sperm, so just because you saw "it" happen does not mean it will necessarily be a month from then. :) Also, if you bought the female from a place where she was housed with males, I can pretty much guarantee she is already storing sperm anyhow.
A couple of notes: YOu can start as big of a nursery as you want. The breeding nets are really for people do not have a nursery tank, so if you have another tank, thats better than a breeding net. If your nursey tank in less than 20g, only ever leave the female in there are for a few days at a time at a time. Mollies are active and messy, so being in small environments is stressful to them. Also, they need to be able to swim arouond to get the process going. :)
The molly parents can and do eat the babies. If you leave the mom in with new babies, they will get eaten. Lots of plant (real or fake) cover is good for nursery tanks so the fry can all hide.
Also, you said you have a molly pair. I just going to assume that you only have those 2 mollies (if I am incorrect, ignore this). Mollies and other livebearers should be kept in the ratio of 1m for every 2-3 females. The males are relentless in their romantic pursuits, so the females usually get stressed out which is really bad for them. More females means the male's attention will be spread out and every girl gets a break. :)
Good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions or add any more info. Also, we love pictures here!

Thanks for that info! We have a male Dalmation Molly and a male Green Sword. For females we have a Pinapple Sword, Dalmation Molly, 2 red Swords. I don't know what the cats are or the Pleco's. I do also have a small iridescent shark.

Welcome! I am going to add in here that it can be difficult to tell the exact time with livebearers. They are capable of storing sperm, so just because you saw "it" happen does not mean it will necessarily be a month from then. :) Also, if you bought the female from a place where she was housed with males, I can pretty much guarantee she is already storing sperm anyhow.
A couple of notes: YOu can start as big of a nursery as you want. The breeding nets are really for people do not have a nursery tank, so if you have another tank, thats better than a breeding net. If your nursey tank in less than 20g, only ever leave the female in there are for a few days at a time at a time. Mollies are active and messy, so being in small environments is stressful to them. Also, they need to be able to swim arouond to get the process going. :)
The molly parents can and do eat the babies. If you leave the mom in with new babies, they will get eaten. Lots of plant (real or fake) cover is good for nursery tanks so the fry can all hide.
Also, you said you have a molly pair. I just going to assume that you only have those 2 mollies (if I am incorrect, ignore this). Mollies and other livebearers should be kept in the ratio of 1m for every 2-3 females. The males are relentless in their romantic pursuits, so the females usually get stressed out which is really bad for them. More females means the male's attention will be spread out and every girl gets a break. :)
Good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions or add any more info. Also, we love pictures here!

I know this isn't my post... But thanks! You helped me alot with my guppies!

Thanks for that info! We have a male Dalmation Molly and a male Green Sword. For females we have a Pinapple Sword, Dalmation Molly, 2 red Swords. I don't know what the cats are or the Pleco's. I do also have a small iridescent shark.

Iridescents get huge!! Too big for a 55g.
If that pleco is a common pleco, well, it will also get too big.
I'm really not trying to sound rude and am very sorry if I do.

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 51
  • common_pleco2.jpg
    common_pleco2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 88
KonvictKeeper said:
Iridescents get huge!! Too big for a 55g.
If that pleco is a common pleco, well, it will also get too big.
I'm really not trying to sound rude and am very sorry if I do.

Then I might need to get another tank eventually. For now he is under 2 inches. I hope the Pleco doesn't grow too fast as the tank needed the cleaning. There is much less problem with the algae now. They do keep the glass much nicer. Not rude at all, I see your name and have to tell you my mom and step dad raised convicts and before that they did angels. The convicts were such fun to watch as a kid, they would suck the babies up in their mouth and spit em into the cave they had built!

Thanks for that link. I probably should have put a little more thought into what we got, but we asked the lady at the pet store and she didn't even mention that size might become an issue. I will have to keep an eye on them. How about khoury (spelling ?) cats?

Back
Top Bottom