New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chevy muddin 78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys and gals I bought a 55 gallon tank to store a bearded dragon in and started a 10 gallon tank for the second time and got a few fish nothing fancy just a couple dalmation fish and a couple small frogs with algee eater and got rid of the beardie so now I got my 55 gallon tank all set up (sanitized it very well) for fish, when I bought the tank from the guy it was used for fish I got the API freshwater master test kit and tested my water everything is ok I put my fish in and then noticed my tank is bulging in front and back it is missing the middle brace which being a newbie I didn't know a 55 gallon had a middle brace :/ could I replace the top piece without harming water or fish?

Are you 100% sure that he had fish in the tank? If it is a reptile you're gonna need more than a brace. I'm not familiar with 55 gallon braces so Idk.

Hey guys and gals I bought a 55 gallon tank to store a bearded dragon in and started a 10 gallon tank for the second time and got a few fish nothing fancy just a couple dalmation fish and a couple small frogs with algee eater and got rid of the beardie so now I got my 55 gallon tank all set up (sanitized it very well) for fish, when I bought the tank from the guy it was used for fish I got the API freshwater master test kit and tested my water everything is ok I put my fish in and then noticed my tank is bulging in front and back it is missing the middle brace which being a newbie I didn't know a 55 gallon had a middle brace :/ could I replace the top piece without harming water or fish?

Apart from the centre bracing, fish and reptile tanks can differ in type and thickness of glass. Particularly the bottom. If it is bowing then you need to drain it ASAP!

Yes I am sure he had fish in it I think he said he used it as a quarantine tank or a regular tank but only had it half way full is there anyway to tell if it is a real fish tank?

Yes I am sure he had fish in it I think he said he used it as a quarantine tank or a regular tank but only had it half way full is there anyway to tell if it is a real fish tank?

There's no way it's an actual fish tank if its bulging. He got away with it because he only half filled it. It isn't strong enough to hold twice the volume. I'd hate it to fail and have you lose your fish.

There is one way you won't like if Its not a fish tank!!! You won't like this though ! Fill it with water leave it outside for a week and if its still there and in contact its a fish tank most likely

There's no way it's an actual fish tank if its bulging. He got away with it because he only half filled it. It isn't strong enough to hold twice the volume. I'd hate it to fail and have you lose your fish.

I posted a couple pics of bottom of tank and the broke piece it says its tempered and has an anchor on one idk it that means it is a fish tank?

Even if it is tempered or not..if the tank is bulging, it isn't a fish tank. You should be able to tell by the thickness of it alone.

Can't find it, but a quick google says the bottom pane of glass should be tempered. If the walls are tempeted, and it fails, it will shatter into chunks, if they are not, then it will shatter into shards.
I'd say the seams are likely to give before the glass shatters anyway.

Can't find it, but a quick google says the bottom pane of glass should be tempered. If the walls are tempeted, and it fails, it will shatter into chunks, if they are not, then it will shatter into shards.
I'd say the seams are likely to give before the glass shatters anyway.

Like I said if your feeling balsy just fill it all the way with water outside leave it for a week if its possible

Well the thing is I filled it Friday and had it running since then and have transferred my fish to this tank should I try and makeshift a brace for for it to go on outside? I just don't want to bother fish so much

Well the thing is I filled it Friday and had it running since then and have transferred my fish to this tank should I try and makeshift a brace for for it to go on outside? I just don't want to bother fish so much

Hmmm i don't know can you put the fish in another tank? You said something is warping or something sorry half asleep

Hmmm i don't know can you put the fish in another tank? You said something is warping or something sorry half asleep

They were in a 10 gallon and I just put three baby dalmation fish in it to grow cause one I got from pet smart was prego and had babies and the tank is bulging out on top from the middle brace missing

They were in a 10 gallon and I just put three baby dalmation fish in it to grow cause one I got from pet smart was prego and had babies and the tank is bulging out on top from the middle brace missing

Can you take a pic of the bulging top or whatever? If you have good glass..it shouldn't bulge?

Can you take a pic of the bulging top or whatever? If you have good glass..it shouldn't bulge?

Second this I'd like to see what it looks like . Loom fish are not as important as damaging your house or apartment . 55 gallons is alot of water and can literally almost destroy your house . Ruin floors drywall and so on

Oh yea deff don't want to risk losing fish and walls floor ect.

image-3170706382.jpg

It doesn't look like much but there is a bulge

Second this I'd like to see what it looks like . Loom fish are not as important as damaging your house or apartment . 55 gallons is alot of water and can literally almost destroy your house . Ruin floors drywall and so on

I work for a restoration company (water, fire, mold, etc) and I can atest to this for sure lol.

Back
Top Bottom