Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found that seachem prime is a good one for sorting ammonia nitrites an nitrates I had same problem with my Malawis when first got them and I lost some fish but I change a third of my water every Sunday an use seachem an Waterlife bacterlife with every change and I have a tank full of yellow lab babies an all other fish doing well

Beefsteaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
Well, unfortunately the guppy didn't make it. I came home from work on Friday and he wasn't moving very much. He hadn't eaten in 3 days and was still floating around on his side/back.. I felt horrible, but figure he was better off out of his misery.

Performed a wc on friday night for the ACs, changed out 3 gallons back to back (6 total) and got the nitrites back down. By sunday they were high again so I did another 3 gal WC.

Friday when i got home, also noticed the smallest of the ACs had a whitish looking sore on its side behind the fin. I think because the water was so built up with toxins at that point (from not changing the water as per the LFS) that the weakest of the fish caught some type of "rot"? By Sunday this spot was just about gone.

Feels like this tank is taking FOREVER to cycle ...

MikeyThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
When your levels are high consider 75% pwc. The point is to get the levels so they aren't toxic. Even 2 - 75% back to back pwc.

10G is for sure too small. Aggression will increase when they are stressed in a too small tank.

I didn't notice if you have been suggested to add an additional filter pad into the filter behind the first. This will give you double the BB surface area.

Don't over feed, feed lightly.

I would suggest some small pellet Hikari cichlid food.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Thanks for the advice autumn! I was nervous to do more than a 50% change..
As far as feeding, I do feed them very lightly once a day and they go CRAZY and all flakes are gone within seconds, they don't even have a chance to sink. These fish are SAVAGES at feeding time!!

Definitely didn't know about the double filter pad, I don't think 2 filters would fit in there but I will give it a shot.

Thanks again..
MikeyThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist
If you can manage a large water change do it. The main body of bacteria you want builds up in the pads, the sponges, the gravel and the surfaces so perform pwcs to keep the water non toxic to the fish. Your aim is to keep nh4/nh3 and no2 at 0.25 with fish in and eventually these will drop to 0 as your nitrates rise.

Lynx99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com