Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Guy from NY

Hey everyone.. Glad I found this place, seems like there is A LOT of valuable info here that is going to help me figure out what I am doing a little easier.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter. I placed some Aponogeton (sp?) bulbs in there when I set the tank up, and added my first 4 guppies to begin cycling after running the tank empty for about a week.

I was checking my Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH levels daily after the fish were introduced, and changed 40-50% water when the levels would increase.. 3 of them didnt even make it 2 weeks and the last Gup was holding strong and is still in there at about the 6 week mark..

Last week, a buddy of mine at work brought in 7 baby cichlids (all 1" or smaller) which I brought home and added to the one lonely guppy that has been in there by itself for the previous 3-4 weeks. I didn't think this would be an issue since the Cichlids were so small and so far everything has been going well. The ciclids seem to love it in the tank, I love watching them go crazy at feeding time!..

My only concern at this point is that my tank is still not cycled and I am running for 6+ weeks.. I still have to change water (at about 40-50%) every 2-3 days at this point because the nitrite and nitrate levels seem to increase drastically while the ammonia stays at a safe level. I think this is because the plants are absorbing the ammonia?

Should I be changing the filter media in my QuietFlow during cycling? I noticed it has a lot of muck built up in the media and I don't know if I should leave it (for good bacteria) or just replace it with a new one and continue letting the tank do its thing.

Once I get the tank cycled, i am going to work a little more towards gearing my tank for Cichlids, possibly change the gravel over to sand (which I know is another process in itself) and add some more "cave-like" rocks and things for them to swim through. Probably will replace the real plants with fake ones too because these little guys like nibbling the roots of my Aponogetons..

Looking forward to getting some advice from you guys

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyThumbs View Post
Hey everyone.. Glad I found this place, seems like there is A LOT of valuable info here that is going to help me figure out what I am doing a little easier.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter. I placed some Aponogeton (sp?) bulbs in there when I set the tank up, and added my first 4 guppies to begin cycling after running the tank empty for about a week.

I was checking my Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH levels daily after the fish were introduced, and changed 40-50% water when the levels would increase.. 3 of them didnt even make it 2 weeks and the last Gup was holding strong and is still in there at about the 6 week mark..

Last week, a buddy of mine at work brought in 7 baby cichlids (all 1" or smaller) which I brought home and added to the one lonely guppy that has been in there by itself for the previous 3-4 weeks. I didn't think this would be an issue since the Cichlids were so small and so far everything has been going well. The ciclids seem to love it in the tank, I love watching them go crazy at feeding time!..

My only concern at this point is that my tank is still not cycled and I am running for 6+ weeks.. I still have to change water (at about 40-50%) every 2-3 days at this point because the nitrite and nitrate levels seem to increase drastically while the ammonia stays at a safe level. I think this is because the plants are absorbing the ammonia?

Should I be changing the filter media in my QuietFlow during cycling? I noticed it has a lot of muck built up in the media and I don't know if I should leave it (for good bacteria) or just replace it with a new one and continue letting the tank do its thing.

Once I get the tank cycled, i am going to work a little more towards gearing my tank for Cichlids, possibly change the gravel over to sand (which I know is another process in itself) and add some more "cave-like" rocks and things for them to swim through. Probably will replace the real plants with fake ones too because these little guys like nibbling the roots of my Aponogetons..

Looking forward to getting some advice from you guys
Hi, welcome to AA. Do you have Africans on NWs cichlids, 7 full grown cichlids will be way over stocking a 10g, so I would be looking for a larger tank soon. Alson African like there ph to be higher. Words of waring, they'll eat the guppy in the future. Your filter can't keep up with the bioload, so a larger filter is also needed. There are dwarf cichlids that can live in a 10g

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks beast! They are African Cichlids.. My pH is about 7.8 and I think the reasoning for the original guppies dying off was due to my pH being much higher than the store where I bought them.. Somehow the 1 guppy was able to make it through and now it works out since I know AC's like higher pH levels.

As for overcrowding, I know this is going to be an issue.. wondering how long it will take for these babies to grow. How many AC would you recommend in a 10g tank?

I will probably give 3-4 of them back to my buddy once they get a bit bigger since I can't really afford to upgrade everything to a larger tank at the moment..
Would 4 AC be alright in the 10g?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks beast! They are African Cichlids.. My pH is about 7.8 and I think the reasoning for the original guppies dying off was due to my pH being much higher than the store where I bought them.. Somehow the 1 guppy was able to make it through and now it works out since I know AC's like higher pH levels.

As for overcrowding, I know this is going to be an issue.. wondering how long it will take for these babies to grow. How many AC would you recommend in a 10g tank?

I will probably give 3-4 of them back to my buddy once they get a bit bigger since I can't really afford to upgrade everything to a larger tank at the moment..
Would 4 AC be alright in the 10g?
No prob, hmm, well, there are may different species of AC, some can be really aggressive while some are really docile, most get over 6 in they also like there ph to be in the 8.0 and above, really acidic water. The only ones I know that can live premently in a 10 g is mulites and Brevis. For the fishes best health, I would try to give them to somebody with a bigger tank or trade them to a store,

10g saltwater
Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6

Not sure of the species of AC.. I will ask my buddy from work if he knows tomorrow.

Like I said in a previous post, they are all about 1" or smaller at this point. What is the average growth rate of ACs. I'm assuming I should be ok with these babies for almost a year before I would have to start giving the bigger ones new homes but that's just my guess.

I sent my wife to the LFC today to pick up a heater and some filter cartridges, gave her a sample of water to have tested for me.

The guy at the store told her that I am cycling the tank completely wrong by doing any kind of water changes at this point and that I should just leave the tank alone unless fish die. That sounds a little ridiculous and harsh to me... He also told me I can't keep the guppy in the same tank as the cichlids although they have been getting along fine for the week they were together so far.. I would think as the cichlids get larger this might pose a problem but I should be okay for now.. He was basically telling me I had to get the cichlids out now and put some more guppies in the tank. My plan though is to keep these cichlids in the 10g until I can get them a bigger tank, just don't know how long that could be without harming or hindering them in any way..

Not for nothing, but I would rather trust the info I find here over that of what a Petco employee tells me...

Every 2-3 days I wind up doing a 30-40% WC, at this point my readings are usually as follows:
Ammonia -- .25 ppm
NitrIte -- 2.0-5.0 (closer to 5.0 ppm range)
NitrAte -- about 40 ppm

Should I not be changing the water so often at this point? I had assumed that when Nitrates and nitrites elevate, water should be changed. Should I wait until ammonia rises regardless of the Nitrite and nitrate readings?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure about the cycling question, my cycle was over in a week. are you changing anything in the filter. An with the AC you should be fine with them until 3 in. Then they will start to show aggression.

10g saltwater
Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The nitrite level is way too high and will poison the fish. You need to get it down to 0.25. Large back to back water changes + adding prime to treat the water.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

Thanks beast. That's along the line I was thinking.. About how long would an AC take on average to grow 3"?

Lynxx, thank u as well. I know the nitrite is too high, hence the frequent water changes. When you say back tp back changes do u mean one right after the other (ex: drain 3 gallons, add 3 gallons, then drain 3 and add another 3, so 6 total gallons broken up by a refill in between?) or do you mean 2 consecutive days of 50% wc or more?

Is Prime sold at chain pet stores like Petco?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks beast. That's along the line I was thinking.. About how long would an AC take on average to grow 3"?

Lynxx, thank u as well. I know the nitrite is too high, hence the frequent water changes. When you say back tp back changes do u mean one right after the other (ex: drain 3 gallons, add 3 gallons, then drain 3 and add another 3, so 6 total gallons broken up by a refill in between?) or do you mean 2 consecutive days of 50% wc or more?

Is Prime sold at chain pet stores like Petco?
My guess is a few months 2-5 mabye sooner

10g saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com