new guy here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsh0ck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, looks like I'm the new guy. Glad to be here.

For my daughter's fifth birthday, we got her a little 5-gallon starter tank. We will all have to learn together, since none of us know anything about this stuff, but hoping it will be fun.

So far I've got the tank set up with a small heater - warming the water as I type - and the filter setup. She wanted the pink gravel, go I got a five-pound bag and have that in there also.

Got a little figurine of a snail with a no fishing sign, which she thinks is hilarious.

Then come my questions. And maybe they belong in a different section of the board. Hope it's ok to drop them here initially. First, do I need more gravel? Seems maybe a little thin in spots.

Second, I got some Walmart bulbs. Been in there for four or five days and nada. Only change is one grew what seemed to be a white filmy fungus or mold? I tossed it this morning. Are these any good or do I spend money for already sprouted, living plants? Also, how many? Don't want to clutter the small tank.

Then to the fish. We are going to run into town after school to petsmart. Was thinking guppies, maybe? I figure four or five is all that would fit comfortably. But I think she wants one fish a bit bigger. So one of those and maybe three guppies? Or maybe neons? What medium fish would work/fit? Any advice? (Oh, and a small African frog maybe? She had three in her preschool class so thought she might get a kick out of having one.) Might add a snail later to help clean?

Anyway, I'll hang up and listen. Thanks for any help. And thanks for future help. I'm sure I will be back often.

First: Welcome to AA!

Second: Do you know about cycling? This process, which can last a number of weeks, will make your tank safe for fish. Otherwise, dangerous chemicals will build up in your tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Finally: Once your tank is cycled, I think a Betta fish would be a good fit for your tank and your daughter's wishes. They are pretty, fit well in a 5 g, and have distinct personalities.

I am relatively new myself (only one month in). I am sure much more experienced members will offer better advice, but I wanted to make sure you got this message before you went to Petsmart. I wish I had known of this site before I started out! I highly highly recommend cycling the tank first.

Once cycled, Petsmart should have a wide selection of Bettas in different colors. I think the basic varieties of Bettas cost under $5.

Just one, though? I'd seen betas before, of course, but thought I would be able to get several fish in there for her if I went with the little ones. No?

I personally know of no fish that would thrive in multiples in a 5g. I think you could do multiple shrimp or snails in a 5g, but that might not be what you or your daughter have in mind.

I am actually curious if any of the experts have any ideas.

Welcome to AA.

I personally know of no fish that would thrive in multiples in a 5g. I think you could do multiple shrimp or snails in a 5g, but that might not be what you or your daughter have in mind.

I am actually curious if any of the experts have any ideas.

Heterandria formosa ember tetra chilly rasbora cpd rasbora maculata

Back
Top Bottom